Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Monday, August 27, 2007

New York City: Day Four

Ok, ok. I know it's been forever and a day since I attempted to finish out this NYC thing. And I'm sure you're all over it by now. But I want to end it so I can look back at all the fond memories when my own memory has failed me. So, here goes....

After a fun-filled previous day packed with lots and lots of activities from dawn until way past dusk, we decide to sleep in a bit. This was probably a good idea. I was just recently discussing some of the trip with Ron and, apparently, he has no recollection of most of our activities on Day Three. I have no witnesses to back me up, only one picture of the two of us at the Norah Jones concert. He continues to deny falling asleep (standing up) and almost knocking people over multiple times until I finally gave up trying to nudge him in the side. Also, sleeping through half of the broadway play. And then through part of our Frenchy dinner. I must be a real exciting date, eh?

9:00 am -- We wake up to shower, dress, and make ourselves look pretty. Not everything in that last statement is true. As I was attempting to dry my hair, the electricity went out. This was the second time. Oops! Forgot that we can't have the t.v. and air conditioner running at the same time as any other appliance. It takes the handyman way longer than we have time to wait for him, so off we go to catch the train--wet hair and all.

10:45ish am -- We arrive at "Good" with a few minutes to spare. Of course, just about every woman walking up to the restaurant is thin with long, dark hair. Is that her? Nooo...is that her? No worries, Bearette shows up right on time as the first guests are being let in the door. No line! We exchange a quick hug and head in for some grub.

11:00ish am -- Bearette's husband, D, joins us for some good food and good conversation. We soon find out that even though it might be awkward to meet up with someone that you feel like you already know, but you don't really know, it's still possible to hold down a relatively interesting conversation. As promised, the food was not just "good", but scrumptious. I had the lemon ricotta pancakes. I seriously need to find a recipe for those. They are soooo yummy. Ron had some sort of breakfast burrito. He said it was good. I'll have to take his word on that one. I've never been a fan of stuffing breakfast items into a tortilla. To each his own.

12:00ish am -- Bearette had offered to show me her favorite yarn store (and who am I to deny a great yarn buying/feeling experience), Purl. So we head over there, minus D who decided to go for a bike ride.

This is what I found at the store....

Sock yarn!!!

1:00ish pm -- Bearette offered some of her leftover yarns to me and there's no way I can pass that up. :) So we head to her apartment. We had plenty of time to chat along the way while avoiding getting run over by crazy taxis. Luckily, by this time, I had learned to be an agressive pedestrian. Or at least more aggressive than my usual timid self. I'm one of those people who does not step an inch off the sidewalk until I see that little, white walking statue. If you've ever been to NYC, you know that you'll never get ANYWHERE if you do that.

Her apartment was very cute. Of course, there were ducks aplenty. :) And I got a preview of some of her finished projects, even getting to model one of the Christmas presents. Unfortunately, I totally forgot to get my camera out during our entire visit. :( But I did get a juicy tidbit of info that I've had to bite my tongue not to release. :D

Free yarn!!! The hot pink ball on the top is what I used to make the flower lapel pin.

3:00 pm -- Finally realizing how late it had gotten, we decide to head on out. We bid our goodbyes, promising to bring the kids the next time we visit. The New York Metropolitan Art Museum was next on our list of to dos. It did not fail our expectations. In three hours time, we only made it through half of the building. I was surprised that they allow photography, as long as you don't use a flash. I absolutely loved how much history is interlaced within the pieces of artwork. Here are some of the highlights.

This is probably my favorite picture. I didn't snap it, but it was my eye that caught the perspective.

This guy must have thought highly of himself. Must. Protect. The. Royal. Jewels!

A bunch of headless, armless statues.

Check out the intricate beadwork. I can't even imagine how long it took to make this one.

More perspective? Just proof that I think I should be a professional photog.

Obviously the miniature men think highly of themselves, too.

I love these little guys. I was tempted to ask if we could take them out and play. :P


Off with your head!

Whaaa?? The artist had a little too much to drink (hence, the empty glass) and lost their bright idea.

This is more like what REAL artwork should look like.


  • At 9:56 AM , Blogger Bearette24 said...

    I'm with you on the real artwork. And I've never been into breakfast burritos either ;)

    Wish I could sleep standing up! I guess he was tired enough.

  • At 10:57 AM , Blogger His suzy said...

    You guys did a lot while you were there! Some of those statues are funny. lol

  • At 10:18 AM , Blogger Liz said...

    Love the royal jewels pic. :)

    I'm glad you guys had such a fun trip.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home