Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Just a Quickie

Thought I would drop in here for a minute. Tonight I was wrangled into taking my daughter and three of her friends to the school carnival. If you've never been to one of these as a parent, let me warn you in advance that it is quite the experience. I made a discovery tonight. I'm attempting to say this without a holier-than-thou attitude, but MY GOD what has happened to the some of the youth in this world??!!! I know that my youngest child needs an attitude adjustment on most days as of late, but these girls made her look like an angel. With mouths like sailors and the "Oh no she di-int" head shake (at 11 years old mind you) it was quite grotesque to watch. Oh and tube tops. Allright I'll stop being judgmental.

You know how it's easy to just go on with your daily life...work, eat, sleep, a weekend to play. You feel like things are just starting to become somewhat normal. Well, as normal as they can get. And then the plummeting economy decides to hit your household like a wrecking ball. A month ago, Ron was laid off from his job. I know, I know. Change is good. Things happen for a reason. Blah, blah, blah. None of that helps to pay the bills. We are definitely lucky that I have an awesome career that provides for our family. Even so, things are tighter around here than I am comfortable with. Needless to say, I have had to actually look at our monthly budget to see if there's any spots to cut back on (not so much...we don't even have things like cable, tivo, spa weekends). Things we have cut out: eating out (lots of meals in the crock pot lately), vacations, and basically any unnecessary spending. One thing I am not willing to give up is my third life crisis fun! My solution? Knitting! I'm going to stockpile all of my earnings from my hand-crafted goodies that I sell into my "Fun for Roxanne Fund". Oh yeah, did I mention that Ryan Cabrera will be back in Cleveland on May 1st? Heehee! Anyone interested in joining me??

Also? I'm now selling stuff and you can follow the link in the sidebar over there to your right. --------------------------------------------------------------------->
Look under the Hand-Crafted Goodies and then click on Buy My Stuff Here. Viola! I'm even all technically advanced and have a paypal button, y'all! I'm not quite ready to open an Etsy store, maybe when I get a stock-pile of a few items to display. Anyhoo, if anyone has any requests, I'm open for just about anything. I even recently found a pattern for hand-knitted pasties, if that's up your alley.

Thanks again to my first customers, Caro and Liz. Thank you ladies! It makes me feel all warm inside (in a non-sexual way) that you like my goods so much. I figure if I can earn a few extra bucks to do things for myself while enjoying one of my hobbies AND keep people's heads warm and stylish...what more could I ask for? I'm thinking I may even get that long awaited professional massage...

Here's the quick recap:

Husband lost job.

Roxanne working diligently with children during the day and possibly the night shift if I can get any clients (to pay the bills).

Roxanne working diligently with knitting needles in the evening to pay for concerts and other frivolous things.

6 Comments:

  • At 7:53 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    do you offer a drop-off daycare option, or just all-day? was thinking the drop-off might bring in extra clients...

     
  • At 12:30 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Bearette- Yes, I do. I currently have one child that does drop-in and the rest are on a regular schedule.

    I've been tossing a few ideas around on how to get new clients, but any suggestions are welcome. :)

     
  • At 1:30 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I hope your hubby can find something soon. I know it's not easy. But, like you say, even if things are super tight, at least you still have your income and that's way better than nothing!

     
  • At 10:40 AM , Blogger Caro said...

    I'm so sorry about your hubby's layoff. This recession is bleeping wretched.

    My hubs got a five percent pay cut. It was to avoid layoffs but still, ouch.

    Next month all the employess are getting a fifteen percent pay cut, just for the month, but still I'm so stressed, my eye has literally been twitching.

    I can testify that you knit very nice hats! The drop in daycare is a great idea. Sometimes a mom wants the ability to go to the doctor without their kids in tow or even the grocery store!

    It's wonderful that you are so resourceful. I keep sitting here with my thumb up my butt wondering how I can bring in some extra and drawing a blank. LOL

    I pray your hubs gets work and things turn around soon.

     
  • At 9:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Rox- so sorry about Ron's layoff. I really wish you lived around here- I would leave Lion with you in a second!

    Love my hat. Seriously. Not once have I been sad to see winter on its way out, but I'm wishing for at least one more bitter, cold day so I can wear it.

     
  • At 9:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    also- knitted pasties!

    My grandmother would find that HILARIOUS. Seriously. One of the first times my husband met her, we were talking about pasties and he nearly died.

    I'd buy some for her, but sadly, she's now in her 90s and probably doesn't remember the joke.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home