Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Just when you think it's safe to answer the doorbell...

You know it's going to be one of those days when County Children's Services shows up on your doorstep.....

I've debated about whether or not to post anything about this here. And although I'm not going to elaborate I will say this...never say never. Never think that because you have the best interest of your child in your thoughts at all times that it makes you immune to the overzealousness of authority figures (a.k.a. school principal).

And on a lighter note (because if I allow myself to focus on this much more I'll send myself into a tailspin)........

Does anyone have a tried and true delectable pie recipe they'd like to share? We are going to Cincinnati again this year for Thanksgiving and I will most likely be bringing pies. I'm planning on the typical pumpkin but I'd also like to make some sort of berry pie and one other just for good measure. Any ideas before I start my google search???

8 Comments:

  • At 5:12 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    That is scary.

    I'm not much of a pie-maker but this recipe looks amazing:

    http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/posie_gets_cozy/2008/10/sour-cream-appl.html

     
  • At 6:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm so sorry. That must feel terrible. Hang in there, mama.

    Regarding pie- while I've made many pies, I've never made a berry pie! I think I'll have to rectify that. Anyhow, I have my great-grandmother's crust recipe, if you care to make your own. Email me if you'd like it.

    Hope

     
  • At 6:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is, hope you're feeling better soon.

     
  • At 8:12 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Bearette- yes it's scary and maddening all wrapped up with a whole bunch of other feelings. Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to check it out.

    Liz- Thanks a whole lot. It feels like now that the school's part of this is over (for now) and social services is involved that things may go much smoother.

    I'd love the crust recipe. I usually resort to buying the pre-made Pillsbury crust but it's usually just to save time.

     
  • At 1:26 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    Ugh, I hope whatever the issue is, that it goes away soon. I never posted about this, but there was something that happened about a year ago involving the boys and a policeman. And while the policeman said himself that it was really no big deal, he was obligated to report it to children's services because there were minors involved! So, to a degree, I know how horrible it feels. And I'm really sorry.

    Also on a lighter note, my mom makes amazing pies, but I think a big chunk of that is the homemade crust. It's my grandmother's recipe and I don't have it, so I can't share it. However, I do know that when she makes an apple pie, she'll cook some fresh apples and mix it in with the canned pie filling to make it "fresher." Good luck!

     
  • At 9:21 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    Hmmm, I'm thinking you don't need a pie recipe anymore?

    I'm sorry about the social service visit. :-(

     
  • At 12:12 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Caro- Thanks. Apparently the social worker wasn't alarmed enough after her initial visit since she hasn't been back yet to follow up. I guess that stinkin' principal isn't an expert after all.

     
  • At 12:17 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Suzy- Thanks for your understanding. Unfortunately this was not a case of "no big deal" as far as the school officials were concerned. What angers me the most is they were looking to cover their butts more than they were concerned about my child's well being. Arrrggghh!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home