Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sometimes it just plain sucks to be a girl

So, the whole Hair Removal thing has me in a bit of a quandary lately. You would think, at 35 years old, that I would have figured it out by now. Not so much.

First, I go swimming at least twice a week and am getting very tired of removing that pesky bit of hair that needs to be tamed EVERY SINGLE TIME I go to the pool. A while back I bought a cordless "trimmer" that seems to take care of this area pretty well. Except for those times that I knick my skin (ouch!) and then instead of having embarrassing hair down there, I now have a tiny but obvious scab. I know, real attractive.

So, against my better judgment, I decided to buy one of those Epilady style hair removers. It's a knockoff brand from Walmart which was probably my second mistake. I dutifully read all of the instructions before letting the thing touch my skin. Here's an excerpt from the instruction booklet .....

*The Emjol Sin Dolor is an amazing painless epilator that removes hair from the root leaving your skin smooth for up to 6 weeks. The epilation head features 21 (!) tweezers that quickly and comfortably removes hair on all your sensitive areas including individual facial hairs on the upper lip and chin, legs, bikini line and underarms.

I'm not sure who tested these out and filled in the space that said "painless", but the small quarter-sized area that I tested it on my leg feels like it's on fire. I can't even imagine trying to use this thing anywhere in the vicinity of my crotch. I'm not sure why I thought this thing would work. It's like a little torture device with a hot pink plastic casing.

My question is: Have any of you tried electrolysis as a permanent option to this rather annoying chore? If so, what was your experience?

11 Comments:

  • At 1:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am all for electrolysis, but I read that it can't be done on blondes. Not sure if this is true...

    I would LOVE to never, ever have to shave again. Money well spent, in my humble opinion. :)

     
  • At 4:44 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    I must have pregnancy brain because at first I thought you were talking about removing hair from your head ;)

     
  • At 8:27 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I tried electrolysis before, several years ago, because I had some facial hair that I didn't want. (Think sideburns that were more than the average chica should have. lol) It wasn't terribly painful, but I consider myself to have a decent tolerance for pain, so I'm not sure how much to read into that. But the main thing is that it didn't really stay gone as much as I thought it would, or should have. To this day I do some tweezing! Of course, that was several years ago, and things could certainly have improved in that time.

    I actually also have an Epilady, that I bought a million years ago! And yes, it did hurt the first time or two, but after that it didn't really bother me, and it definitely keeps the hair gone much longer than shaving. However, I've never used it higher on my leg than about mid-thigh, so I'm not sure how it would be around sensitive areas.

    Sorry for babbling so much! lol

     
  • At 12:34 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Liz- I would check into it if I was you. Sounds like the blonde thing might be a myth.

    Bearette- :)

    Suzy- Thanks for your help. Your rambling was exactly what I was asking for. :)

    I've never actually checked into electrolysis but I've certainly contemplated it many times (like every time I'm trimming before heading to the pool).

     
  • At 2:57 AM , Blogger The Beast Mom said...

    I've never tried anything but a razor. Everything I read about other methods seems PAINFUL! The one that sounds worst is hot wax and ripping it off your skin. eeeek.

    -bm

     
  • At 10:54 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Same here, I always just used a razor. Of course, now I can't reach.

     
  • At 6:57 PM , Blogger Lynsey said...

    My mother had (hence had) one of those. She hands it to me and goes, here Lynsey, try it. So of course I did. And I only did once. I hear adds all the time on the radio and testimonials from a company here locally that does permanent hair removal and I'm totally interested. I want it gone from my legs, bikini, and underarms (yes I do not EVER want to shave again). So if I do it, I will let you know how it goes...I'm sure it's rediculously expensive though and well, it beats spreading your legs to a waxer :)

     
  • At 5:05 PM , Blogger anne said...

    I wish you luck in your search - I have no idea how to deal with that region in any way that doesn't involve itchiness and red bumps. Thankfully, I swim laps in the wee hours, so no one really notices anyway.

    Hair removal is a pain in the ass. Point of fact: I have not shaved a single square inch of my skin in probably six months. Gross or not, that's just the way it is. I have light and rather sparse body hair, though, so... not as squicky as it sounds. Maybe.

    At any rate, it's basically BS anyway that women "have to" remove body hair. It's actually kind of a terrible precedent, but that's just my opinion.

    Also - happy spring to you!

     
  • At 8:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Laser is well worth the money and discomfort. You should get a quote!

     
  • At 6:28 PM , Blogger That Chick Over There said...

    I don't know why this has made me laugh, but it did. The joys of womanhood!

     
  • At 12:53 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Beast mom-Yeah, I'm trying to avoid hot wax at all costs.

    Bearette- *Now* maybe you can reach again. ;)

    Lyns- I'm not really into the spreading the legs things either. :)

    Anne- I've threatened many a time to just let it all go and go back to my German roots. Ron thinks I'm just joking. :)

    Manica- Thanks for the info. I'm definitely leaning that direction now.

    Chick-I do what I can to get the laughs.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home