Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Saturday, August 08, 2009

The Latest

So yeah. I survived the cleaning job on the weekend. Now every weekend I go for 4-8 hours to clean and help organize this guy's apartment. He has a ton of "stuff" crammed into a relatively small space. Last Saturday I spent 3 hours cleaning and the next 4 helping him sort through junk and various sentimental items. It seems that what he really has needed was someone to be there as motivation to keep going through the process. You know how it is when sorting through any room in your house with accumulated junk. It's so easy to get caught up in the memories and the "What in the heck am I keeping this for, but I still can't bear to get rid of it".

In the midst of the sorting, we came across some beautifully hand-painted pieces from India (that's where he's from). Some of the details were so small that we had to look at them with a magnifying glass. Speaking of magnifying glasses, we also came across a grain of rice in a little glass container with his given Indian name painted on it. My favorite part though was sorting through his toys. He had two full dresser drawers filled with collectible hot wheels cars still in their packaging. He said that as a child growing up in India, he had a total of 3 toy cars during his whole childhood. Apparently they are super expensive there due to the fact that they are imported. So one night while shopping in Walmart he told himself, "I'm gonna buy every toy car that I want." And he did.

I bet you'll never guess what my next odd job is that I found on Craigslist? Anyone? I will tell you that never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd have a chance at making money doing this. Hint: it doesn't involve sex or taking off my clothing...lol

9 Comments:

  • At 8:26 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Now I'm curious! It sounds like the cleaning job was interesting. I like the hot wheels part.

     
  • At 9:56 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    I'll wait a bit to see if anyone has a guess. ;)

    I went back today and we found even more cars! He's planning on giving some away and selling some on Ebay. Some of them have increased in value from $1.50 up to $20-30 in just 2 years time. Pretty good hobby/investment!

     
  • At 9:58 AM , Blogger This suzy said...

    Are you going to get paid to sleep as a mattress tester?

    I just tried to think of something I'd never expect to get paid for. lol

     
  • At 1:59 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Suzy - that was creative! I wouldn't mind a job like that.

     
  • At 10:18 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Suzy- Man, I wish! I could def use that right now!!

     
  • At 8:56 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I thought of something else. You could be a product tester, like taste tests. When my dad worked for Kroger, they had a room specifically set up for people to try foods there. So that's my second guess!

     
  • At 10:55 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Suzy- Ha! You must have been reading my mind! No, that's not the job but after your first guess I was thinking what would be the next best thing. Taste tester! Especially a chocolate taste tester!

     
  • At 3:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm really curious. Are you teaching someone how to knit?

     
  • At 8:14 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    Wow, I wish I had somebody to help sort through my stuff. :-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home