Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Perspective

I saw this on a church sign today as I was driving home after working 9 1/2 hours cleaning and schlepping boxes, and holding a photographic reflector thingie in "just the right position":

Laughter is the shock absorber that eases the blows of life.

True dat.

And just when you think your life is sucky and you have every reason to complain about anything and everything, something pops up that smacks you right back into reality.

Just over a month ago, my uncle (my mom's bro) was diagnosed with Acute Leukemia. Yeah. He has had one round of chemo and will find out in a day or two the results from his tests. If there are any cancer cells detected, they will immediately start the next round of chemo. After that, it is bone marrow transplant time...if a match is found. No guarantees and all. He will also be having numerous blood transfusions throughout this process.

My mom and her oldest brother will be going in to get tested to see if they are a match. Statistically, siblings are the most likely to match. From there it's a crap shoot. I have been on the bone marrow registry for about 10 years now, having a vial of blood drawn at a Relay for Life event. This is my friendly reminder to everyone to seek out your local blood bank and/or bone marrow donation center. It really is not that painful of a process, lasting about an hour per donation, and you get free cookies and juice!

Please send positive thoughts (and prayers if that's up your alley) in the direction of Milwaukee, WI. Thanks so much!

3 Comments:

  • At 7:48 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I hope your uncle is okay! I think I've been told that I'm not allowed to donate blood (because of being diabetic and all), but I have yet to actually verify that. I'll have to do that at my next dr. appointment!

     
  • At 8:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Positive thoughts are on the way...

     
  • At 8:12 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    I hope that that first round of chemo killed all the bad cells. Your uncle will be in my thoughts.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home