Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Walk This Way


Note to commenters on my Lurky post.....I finally did reply to all of you wonderful people. :)

Wednesday's happenings:

Called the chiro to see if I could get an appt. ASAP. The bedroom activities 2 days ago MAY have something to do with this. Yay! They have an opening in one hour. I go to said appt. and chiro asks, "So how'd you do this?" "Ummmm, I don't know. I just woke up hurting." "Were you doing yard work?" "No." "Lifting heavy objects?" "No (unless you count.....umm, no)." "Well maybe you just slept in a funny position." "Yeah, that must be it." The day before, hubby and I discussed the awkwardness of he and I going to the same chiro and the possibility that we both have to be adjusted for the same "incident". Next time I'll just stick with the yard work excuse.

THEN....

I go to the clothes consignment store to purge some more of my fat clothes. Now I can actually make money to buy some clothes that fit my new and improved bod. Yay!


THEN....

Hubby and I meet at home before heading to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He makes a sorta kinda compliment to me. "You don't have as much 'grabby' to hold onto." Me pretending I didn't hear him, "Wha?" With a weird cringing sorta look on his face, "You're getting skinny." Me confused if this is a compliment or a put down, "And that's a bad thing?" Confessing his honest feelings, "No, but it makes me look bad."

AHA! He's figured me out. I lost a bunch of weight in order to make him look like a big slob(I say this term sarcastically because I don't call anyone that because I've felt like one and it is not a good place to be and even worse if someone refers to you using a term that you already think of yourself as....big breath). I didn't lose weight to feel good about myself. To feel healthy again. To feel like I can walk up stairs without dying. To feel like I might actually enjoy shopping for clothes again. To feel like I can go outside with my kids and play games without wanting to lay on the ground and take a nap. To feel like I can wear a swimsuit and not have to suck my gut in (even though there was much more than a gut to suck in and that never works anyways). To feel sexy again.

Yeah, I did it to make him look bad. It's been my evil plan all along.

THEN.....

The moment you've all been waiting for. I hope I didn't hype it up too big. We headed to Cleveland. No, I don't live in Cleveland, but we live close enough that it is a convenient enough to go there for the day. I wasn't quite sure what to expect at the Hall of Fame, but was pleasantly surprised. They did a great job of mixing items of clothing and instruments on display with the history of the music. I learned a LOT about some very famous artists who I have only heard their music and not bothered to learn anything else about.

The top 2 floors (they get smaller as you go up) are designated as the "Special Exhibit" area. It changes maybe 3 times a year. I now know more about Bob Dylan than I ever wanted to know. I can respect his influence on the music industry, but I cannot respect his voice. Plain and simple....it sucks. Having said that, I did learn a lot of things about him that I had no idea about before. Like the fact that he wrote, "Blowing in the Wind". How many times did I sing that with my sister as a kid? I thought it was just some cheesy song that someone made up to sing around the campfire. Oops. Another big oops. We're watching a video of George Harrison's concert to raise money for Bangledesh. Ringo Starr (he signs his last name with a star symbol btw...how cool is that?) is on the drums, Eric Clapton on guitar, along with a bunch of other musicians. This was in 1971 and they were all quite shaggy. They do a really close close-up of George and I lean over and ask hubby, "Who is that?". "Umm, it's George." I'm so glad he's used to my stupid moments. He didn't even react.

Some of the items we saw in the clothing/instrument section:

George Clinton's funky hat with red, white, and blue junk hanging off

One of Madonna's many cone bra outfits

Steven Tyler's rag covered microphone stand

A bunch of David Bowies freaky costumes....yeah there were wings too

Stevie Wonder's jacket with beads on it.....African on one sleeve.....American on the other (I love,love,love Stevie)

Alice Cooper's severed head.........at least a replica of it

Michael Jackson's Beat It costume......oh and the silver glove

The silver glove was the only item that they had encased. Everything else was exposed but they had an alarm system so you couldn't reach into the display.

Amongst the other types of items:

The original scratch paper of Aerosmith's "Walk this Way" with some lyrics scratched out. That was cool. Some artwork of Jimi Hendrix in his junior high/high school years. So, so, many things I can't remember them all and don't want to ruin the surprise if any of you end up going.

But the best part was something that we just happened upon. Just by chance we were passing by one of the theaters and saw that something was about to start. Boy, did we luck out! The employee/usher outside said that they were going to have an interview/ live performance with Mack Rice. My first thought.....who the heck is Mack Rice? Second thought: who cares? It's a live performance and we've already paid for it. Were we in for a treat. At first when he came out I thought this guy was probably really cool back in the day. During the interview I started to learn that maybe I did in fact know who he is. He said he wrote "Mustang Sally". Yeah, I definitely know that one. We even got the story behind the writing of that song. Let's just say it was worth sitting through. He said it was about a fellow friend in the music industry (can't remember who). This friend was getting a Cadillac as a gift from his wife. He said, "Man, I don't want no Caddy. I gotta have me a Mustang." Then as Mack was trying out his new song at the recording studio, Aretha Franklin just happened to be there and suggested he change the name. It had been "Mustang Mama". If I tried to rewrite any more of his stories, there's no way I'd do them any justice. I think there were probably 50 people at the most in this theater. It felt like we were all sitting around his living room listening to his stories. Like nothing I've been to before. It was SOOO cool.

THEN.....

We got a live performance of 3 of his old songs.....including "Mustang Sally". Of course, he invited us to sing the "ride, Sally, ride" part. When you're at a huge concert with thousands of people somehow it doesn't feel that special. This was SO different. I can't really think of a word to describe. Definitely much more than just special. When he was done performing, he said, "You've made an old man feel real good."

Now I'm off to google Mack Rice to see what else I can find out about him.

6 Comments:

  • At 5:08 PM , Blogger mtcutie said...

    Very COOL experience!
    Thanks for sharing.

    Oh and your husband’s an ass for making you feel bad about losing weight!

    Sheeeesh… they are never happy!

    Mt


    ps. The chiro story cracked me up!

     
  • At 10:18 AM , Blogger This suzy said...

    Shoot, I want to know what it was that you two did that would send you to the chiro!

    I can't say I know Mack Rice, but it's still a really cool story. I love when stuff like that just happens because then you don't have any expectations and it's all just awesome! :)

     
  • At 12:04 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Mt- I agree with you on the hubby thing. At least regarding that comment. Usually he's pretty good, but COME ON! The sad part is I don't think he even realized what he had done.

    Suzy- Should I draw you a picture? ;)
    Yeah, it was cool. And a big part of that is that it WAS unexpected. I guess they have famous and somewhat famous people show up all the time.

     
  • At 3:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congratulations on losing the weight! :) Enjoy buying some new clothes!

     
  • At 5:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow...so are you a skinny skinny mama now!! I bet you're a hottie!!! That Rock & Roll Hall of Fame sounds awesome!!! I'm jealous!!! So uhhh some bad luck led to the chiro huh? Happens to the best of us...he he!

    ~Lyns

    P.S. My site is private now...just come on over and request to get in and I'll let you. Thanks!

     
  • At 1:47 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Liz- please tell me you don't sound like him...that would be scary!

    Lessie- thanks! I will. I'm still getting used to the idea of not heading to the "womens" section. It baffles me that they call the larger sized clothing area "womens". Aren't we ALL women, no matter the size? Weird.

    Tina- thanks! Mustang Sally rocks! Especially now that I've had a semi-private live performance of it.

    Lynsey- yeah, bad luck. Poor me!
    I'm not a skinny momma, just a much smaller one than I used to be. I still have more to go before I can call myself a hottie, but if you think so....than OK I'll accept the compliment! Oh yeah, you've never seen a picture. ;) Thanks for the invite to your blog. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home