Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Update on Mommy Dearest

Last night I was downstairs working on a new quilting project, a lap-sized quilt for my mom's birthday (note: I just started cutting out the fabric and her birthday is Oct. 27th....it may be a bit late but I don't think she'll mind).

Ron came downstairs with the laptop in tow. "YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS." I knew immediately to drop what I was doing and give him my full, undivided attention. With only a few more minutes of searching, he found a profile that his birth mom had posted in the year 2000. His worst fears are now null and void. If she has actively been searching for him, then he has practically no chance of being rejected. Now for writing that email. It should be a tricky one. I just told him to be as honest as possible about where he's coming from.

A few interesting tidbits without giving away too much. It appears that his birth mom was given some false info to possibly keep her from finding him. She was 16 (almost 17) when he was born. Her dad was in the military. I don't think she had much say in the decision making process. She listed her current occupation as "writer". I have a feeling that he may have inherited some of those genes. ;)

Quote of the day: "Maybe I won't have to be alone anymore."

10 Comments:

  • At 9:36 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    So she's been looking for him? That's great. Why did she alter the age then?

     
  • At 8:09 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Just to clarify....SHE didn't alter any information, but from what she posted (some of it was followed by question marks as if she didn't know for sure) it seems that she (as a teen mom in the 70's) was given some mis-information by her parents possibly, so that she would not be able to find him if she had decided to look. But there was enough correct info and he knew her full name to make the link.

     
  • At 9:21 AM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I'm sure whatever the email says, she'll be happy to hear from him. I'm sure it must provide some comfort for Hubby to know that she's been looking too.

    You know, last time I checked, he wasn't alone already. ;)

     
  • At 9:51 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    true!

     
  • At 11:10 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    The funny part about that is I didn't take it the wrong way. I knew exactly what he meant. Imagine that from the age of 21, you have no family members living. NO ONE. Even though my family has welcomed him with love, it is still not the same. And, yes, he realizes that he has me and the kids (and that they are the only people he has ever known that are gentetically related to him), but I think that is why he is always so fearful of something horrific happening to us. Our conversation last night led to the prospect of him having half-brothers and sisters out there. He realized that he would be the "big brother" since his b-mom was 16 years old when he was born. The thought of that is so exciting for me, I can't imagine how much is going on inside him (even though we've been talkiing this over I know he's going crazy inside his head.)

     
  • At 9:25 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Liz- Yes, it is. He became somewhat obsessed yesterday at work. Checking his email every 5 minutes by the end of the afternoon. No response yet....

     
  • At 5:27 PM , Blogger kj said...

    wow. this is an incredible story as it unfolds. my heart is happy for your husband. it sounds like something very meaningful, and deep, is about to take place.

     
  • At 5:44 PM , Blogger Citizen_Stu said...

    That's great news. I hope everything goes well.

     
  • At 9:21 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    kj- I believe so, too.

    Stu- Thanks. I'm looking forward to the outcome also (it's just the patiently waiting for a response that's so difficult!).

     
  • At 2:36 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    I'm so glad she was looking for him too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home