Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Yoga, Capybaras, and Vegetarians



I think we may have a "little Bearette" living in our house,which is perfectly fine with me :) Jesse has taken to yoga, vegetarianism, and would like to have a capybara as a pet. The picture to the left is her taking a nap after a yoga session.

She has decided that she's "not eating any more animals". Well, except for pepperoni "cause that's my favorite thing for lunch". The other day when we went out to eat, she said, "It's not easy being a vegetarian." The veg thing was sparked by her dad bringing home this flyer. She still hasn't gone to the website yet. I think she's too afraid to get certain images in her head. Me too.

So now I have some questions to ask.

**When staying in a yoga pose (since we have a book we're following and not a video or class), how long do you typically hold the pose? A few of the more difficult ones stated how long you might want to hold them, but I was wondering if there is a standard amount of time for the basics.

**Are there any good recipe books for kids and vegetarian meals? I haven't really checked the library yet, but was wondering if anyone knows of some good ones.

**For people who don't want to take an actual yoga class, is it better to follow a book (which we've already tried) or a video/DVD? I'm thinking that the video/DVD would solve the 'holding a pose time' dilemma.

**Is it legal to have a capybara as a pet? (this was Jesse's question at the zoo the other day)

**What are some easy ways of getting protein besides beans?

**Does tofu really take on the flavor of whatever it's cooked with? Just looking at it, the texture has always seemed kinda funky to me, but I'm willing to try it. And how the heck do you cook the stuff? Some favorite recipes?

12 Comments:

  • At 3:48 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Poses...I read they should be held for one to three breaths (each set of inhale/exhale counting as 1 breath). but the forward-stretching poses (pigeon, etc.) can be held for anywhere from 8-20 breaths. it's mainly about listening to your body...if it's sick of the pose, move to the next one.

    Jeanne Lemlin is my favorite cookbook author. I think Nava Atlas has one especially for kids. Tofu is good with peanut sauce (you can even buy it premade) and brown rice. Also good stir-fried in canola oil with green peppers, yellow squash and onions with some Muenster and marinara added at the end. (i know it sounds odd but it actually works). veganlunchbox.blogspot.com has a lot of ideas for kids, though they don't eat dairy.

    My favorite protein sources are chickpeas, almond or soy milk, kale, cannellini beans, tofu, cheese and yogurt.

    And I don't think it's legal to have a capybara for a pet ;) Though d still wants one...

     
  • At 5:07 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    I also posted a honey-glazed tofu recipe on my blog a while back...very good. Re the video/book question, I think classes are the best. I've never used a video, but they're probably more similar to classes.

     
  • At 8:02 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Also you can do really basic tofu: chopping it up in squares, pan-frying in canola oil, and tossing it with whatever. I think Deborah Madison has an entirely tofu-based cookbook (hmm) as well as a bunch of vegetarian ones.

     
  • At 11:55 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Thanks gals! I knew you'd come through for me. I shall get busy checking the library to see if any of your faves are there.

    I had some kale in the fridge, so I cooked some up for dinner tonight. I informed Jesse that it is loaded with protein. Her response, "Eeeuuww! It looks disgusting." At least she loves nuts, beans, and dairy. I think I'll be trying tofu sometime (even if I'm the only one that eats it).

     
  • At 6:56 AM , Blogger Citizen_Stu said...

    Capybaras are kind of cute.

    I could never be a vegetarian (sorry) but I am trying to eat more healthy.

     
  • At 11:36 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    I second annelyn on didi emmons and mollie katzen...they're both awesome. and it is great that you're willing to cook veg for her. at first, when i turned veg (i was 21 and living at home, right after college), i did all the cooking.

     
  • At 9:27 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    I'm not sure what happened to my last comment, but I'll try to rehash as best I can.

    Stu- Yes, capybaras are cute little buggers (actually I think they are hideous). While at the zoo, I was wondering if their hair feels rough and wiry as it appears to be, or if they are soft and cuddly.

    Anne- Thanks for your long, multiple comments. I've already started to use them for research. I do believe that children should have an opinion and a voice, especially for how they view the world.

    Bearette- What made you decide to go vegetarian?

    I think that slightly changing the menu (or completely if I can convince certain members of the family ;), is the least that I can do as a parent. I've taken enough nutrition classes to know that attempting to force children to eat certain foods is detrimental and affects their eating habits (among other things like self-esteem).

     
  • At 9:35 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    I second on Bearette's honey glazed tofu. I eat that glaze on EVERTHING.

    You're a good Mom to let your daughter try out the veggie thing.

    When I was a teen, I told my Mom I wanted to go veggie and she said, "No."

     
  • At 10:40 PM , Blogger jef said...

    Forgive me for being an idiot, Rox...but what on earth is a capybara?

     
  • At 11:55 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Carolyn- I'll definitely have to try out that honey glaze. Sounds yummy.

    Jef- You're not an idiot. ;) A capybara is the largest animal in the rodent family (I think). To me, it is not that attractive, but I guess some people think they're cute. If you google it, I'm sure you'll find some pictures.

     
  • At 3:18 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Roxanne - you sound like an awesome mother! Well, I had just moved in (back from college) and I would always ask my mom, "What are we having for dinner?" So one night, she gently suggested that I cook dinner.

    I went to the supermarket and recoiled when I saw the bloody chicken (previously my meat of choice). It may not have been technically bloody, but you know how it's all pink. (Sorry...I hope you weren't eating as you read this.)

    Anyway, I realized then that I would never be able to cook meat, and the only meat I liked was chicken, so it wasn't much of a loss. And I felt healthier right away. Also, there's the animal cruelty thing...I feel bad about the way American factory farms treat animals...the crowded conditions, etc.

     
  • At 11:14 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Bearette- I think the only meat I really 'enjoy' eating anymore is chicken (except for fish). We've had the discussion that maybe fish are ok because they aren't tortured and mistreated like other animals. Unless you count the fish that cause other animals to get trapped into their nets and die. :( I've been using up the meat stored in the freezer (which is almost gone now) with plans of not buying more (just don't tell the other adult in my household)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home