Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Let's all go to the Fair!

At the fair today:

A probably 12 year old girl wearing a skin tight shirt that read, "Save a horse, Ride a COWBOY!" Where are her parents???

I was standing in line contemplating what treat I was going to purchase for myself. The frozen banana covered in chocolate and peanuts sounded tasty.....until I saw the lady in front of me get one. I could not picture myself (although when I told Ron later, he said he'd like to witness it) eating this very phallic looking treat on a stick (that one's for you Liz).

In the Belgian horse barn, we witnessed a massive creature. The largest one there, Jay, weighed in at 2300+ pounds and 20 hands in height. That was one big daddy!

I almost threw up on one of the kiddie rides that Jesse talked me into going on. It was called "Dizzy Dinosaur".

One $5 cup of "lemonade" = fill a cup full of ice, add a bunch of sugar and water and half a lemon, shake vigourously.


The term "Elephant Ears" repulses me. I will never purchase one or eat one. It's a pastry people! Stop calling them something they're not.

Creepy carnie guy: keeps wanting everyone getting on ride to give him a high five. I reluctantly did it.....then immediately wondered what non-treatable disease I was going to come down with. I'll keep you guys informed.

I hate porta-potties. Not only because you can't effectively wash up afterwards (I don't trust that rubbing down with anti-bacterial stuff does the job), but why, WHY do they have to put those stupid urinals in every one of them? It makes it virtually impossible to maneuver around without touching some part of your body or clothing onto an area that has been urinated on. I'm convinced that there are no porta-potties in heaven......but hell has them lined up like tin soldiers (of course without any hand sanitizer to "wash up" with).

My daughter was cabitzing with one of the girls in the rabbit building. I think she's finally convinced that she wants to try doing 4-H. We've also decided that when we get goats, it's probably going to be pygmies. First, we have to build a barn. Second, we have to inform Jesse that the barn we are building is only big enough for goats (Ron and I decided that we are not prepared nor ever will be prepared to have a horse so she is only going to take riding lessons). Third, we will have to clean up the aftermath from the tirade. It ain't gonna be pretty.

I love to people watch at the fair. It can be both frightening and entertaining.

8 Comments:

  • At 9:36 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    remember from austin powers?

    "i'm only scared of two things."

    "what's the other?"

    "carnies. they have small hands."

    :D

     
  • At 10:20 AM , Blogger This suzy said...

    Ah, save a horse, ride a cowboy! I love the song, but I'm with you - not appropriate for a 12 year old girl to be wearing as a slogan!

    I never much cared for the county fair. A lot of stuff that didn't interest me and a lot of boys that I would never want to check out. lol

     
  • At 12:03 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Bearette- Austin Powers repulses me too. All that body hair and when he rubs his hands all up and down his body. Eeeeuuuwwww!

    Suzy- Never heard the song, but I'm sure it's a good one....for adults!

    The fair is indeed an interesting place. I was always creeped out by a lot of the people that go. Especially the older guys gawking at the pre-teen/teen girls (including me at that age). The carnies would fall into this category.

     
  • At 4:57 AM , Blogger jef said...

    It's good that you and your hubby plus the kids have this quality time together. This is what a family should be.

    Kudos Rox!

     
  • At 11:35 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    When I lived in Maine, "elephant ears" were called doughboys.

    They're quite yummy.

     
  • At 3:44 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Jef- We usually all go to the fair together, but this time it was Jesse and I. It was actually fun because we could check out the animals for as long as possible, since that's her favortite part. Tis fun to have a little girl time together!

    Carolyn- I would be willing to eat doughboys, but the whole "elephant ears" thing still has me creeped out.

     
  • At 4:17 AM , Blogger ThePurpleOwl said...

    I don't think I could handle 'elephant ears' either (although I haven't heard of them before). Here in Australia, some people call vanilla slices (you know, custard between thin layers of pastry, white icing on top), which taste great, 'snot blocks'. Ewww ewww ewww.

     
  • At 4:17 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Purple Owl- Mmmmm...vanilla slices. If I ever make it back to your part of the world, I'll have to try one. As long as noone calls it a 'snot block'.

    Liz- No problem. I immediately thought of you when I saw that banana. ;)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home