Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

I Think We Should All Learn to Appreciate What We Have.......Take in a Breath of Fresh Air Next Chance You Get

Anecdotes from today:

I had two requests today that I failed to fulfill. Well, I guess three.
1. "Did you bring me a Blizzard?"
"No, sorry."
I did bring him his dark chocolate M&Ms that he can sprinkle on top of the ice cream cups that
they have stored in the freezer. So maybe I'm off the hook for now.

2. "Did you bring a big blanket so we can hide underneath and do whatever we want?"
"Oops. Sorry."

3. "Maybe we can sneak in the bathroom."
I'll leave it up to your imagination what his specific request was. I'll probably comply later....
just not in the bathroom at a hospital with nurses coming in every 10 minutes.

*****

As hubby was walking me down the hallway to leave, we passed by a woman right smack in the middle of the hallway, sitting in her wheelchair. I smiled as I walked by. She slapped the back of my legs (a playful slap at least) as I passed by. I turned back to see what hubby's response was (at this point I don't think anything is going to surprise me much). He literally skipped past her, giggling (this is a good sign), trying to avoid getting slapped in the behind. When he caught up to me, he said, "I could see it in her eyes what she was up to. Some people are SO predictable."

*****

We have a HUGE hornet's nest in one of the bushes outside. I sent Bobby to mow the lawn and not long after he started mowing, I saw him literally jump off the mower running at full speed. What the heck? I thought maybe the engine started on fire or something. Nope. Just a beehive. I'm hoping to leave it be and let the bees continue to use their home. When they're finishedwith it, then we'll have a cool beehive for some science lessons. I remember one year in school, a teacher brought in part of a paper wasp beehive. He had typed some words onto a portion of the hive. It was cool.

*****

When my mom called tonight to see how things were going, she told me about the time when my dad flipped out. We were on a road trip to Michigan to visit her side of the family. Before it was time to head home, my dad got everything packed up and started talking off the wall about needing to get back home. "We have to leave now!" My mom didn't know what to do. So she and her brother tricked my dad into going to the doctor. My dad refused to take any medication. The doctor told my mom to just smash up the pills and put them in his food. She said she hated doing that, but she was scared to get on the road (all the way back to California) with him in that state of mind.

I think she told me this story to let me know that she somehow understood what I'm going through. I know she means well, but this is SO not as simple as smashing up a few pills and driving home. If only.

*****

"You know that because I get to come home in a few days, it doesn't automatically mean that I'm cured."

"Yeah, I know."

Dear God, do I ever know.

*****

"I have an indecent proposal for you. I'll pay you a million dollars in exchange for 15 minutes with your computer."

He said the nurse was amused but did not accept the offer.

*****

When the nurse unlocked the door to let me out, hubby peeked his head through the doorway (I thought he might get himself in trouble but apparently this was one of the nice nurses) and took in a deep breath. "Aaaahhh, the air is so much fresher out here."

I think he's ready to escape.

*****

2 Comments:

  • At 11:46 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Liz- Me too! It was the highlight of the day I think. Totally unexpected (on my part at least).

     
  • At 4:52 PM , Blogger jef said...

    Your hubby is quite a character eh! I bet he is that person that can light up a room when he enters.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home