Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

This is your brain awake.....this is your brain on sleep....any questions?

This is another wierd dream to add to my collection:

I was looking out the window of the house, just gazing into the back yard. All of a sudden, an elephant appears. I said , "Is that an elephant?" No response from anyone in the room. I repeat myself louder this time, "Is that an ELEPHANT in the back yard?" As Ron turns to look putside, four more elephants come running, trotting (whatever it is elephants do) all across the yard. There's a knock at the door and this man immediately starts to apologize and says not to worry, they have everything under control. He is with Barnum and Bailey's Circus and they just 'came across' these elephants running through the neighborhood. Mmmm, curious. I am skeptical as I walk outside and notice that they have a portable barn/cleaning station for the elephants. There is a crew of about 100 people roaming our property caring for the elephants, organizing a food station (for the crew), and basically taking over our land. I go back in the house to see if the kids are even aware of the fact that we have freaking ELEPHANTS in the yard. They are in the 'sun room' which has one wall with windows from ceiling to floor. The elephants are right outside and the kids are getting to view them as if they were at the zoo. Cool, huh? Think again. A very charming and adorable baby elephant, starts to push on the wall of windows. His actions seem innocent enough. Just a baby elephant being playful and curious. But elephants are strong and the window gives in. I scream to the kids to "GET OUT NOW!" but, of course, they are in shock and don't move. We now have a baby elephant entering the house through the sun room. Luckily, a few members of the crew grab the little guy and take control of the situation. The kids and I wander back outside, still in a daze. I find the man that first knocked on the door. He explains that they have been following this herd for a while now to track their behaviors and to possibly find out where they came from. I'm thinking...What the heck? Just put them in a trailer for a trip to the zoo. Place an ad in the paper under "Lost Pets". I'm sure SOMEONE will respond. I continue on viewing all the damage in our yard. Piles (very large ones) of crap everywhere. Pee stains on our lawn furniture. You know how when a dog lifts it's leg on something? Just picture what kind of damage an elephant can do.

At this point, I figure I have no control over the situation. So I go back in the house to sit down and relax. That's when I find an old classmate in my kitchen (someone whom I had a crush on way back when). He has his hair dyed bleach blonde. No,rather it was bleached white showing his dark roots (in real life he has naturally blonde hair). He and I start chatting and flirting. Just when the conversation starts to get really good, my husband walks through giving me the look. The one that says, "What in the hell are you thinking? Did you not remember your husband is in the vicinity?" Instead of feeling guilty for having flirted and making my hubby feel jealous, I'm upset that things were disrupted.

This is when, within the dream (still sleeping), I wake up and start to recall how absurd everything was. I hate when this happens. You're still sleeping. Still dreaming. But your mind is confused because it thinks it's awake. Then when you actually do wake up, you're so confused you don't know if it's just another one of those tricks your mind is playing on you.

Self-Analysis: After reading back through this, I highlighted the sentence that leads me to believe I'm feeling like I don't have control over things in my life right now. And then there's the obvious elephant in the room factor. Or maybe it's just a sign that I need to join the circus. I have been practicing my tight rope skills a lot more lately and started to grow my beard out again.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:57 AM , Blogger jef said...

    Forgive me if I sound like a religious nut but eversince, I do believe that I don't hold my life, as i thought I am doing. There is so much mystery that I really cannot decipher.

    ..but whatever it is, I am still learning to let go and let God. Maybe, He got something far far better than my original plan.

     
  • At 7:01 PM , Blogger ThePurpleOwl said...

    Ooooh, I was going to say 'elephant in the room, anyone?', but you beat me to it. I love the way the human brain can be so creative when trying to tell us things.

    You'll need some waxed, upwards-curled mustachios too, otherwise the circus may not take you... ;-)

     
  • At 12:43 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Jef- Life is certainly full of mysteries. That's also what makes it worth living though.

    Purple Owl- I always like to decipher what my brain is telling me through my dreams. Sometimes it's too scary though and I just try to avoid it.

    I'll make sure to get some wax and start practicing with the upwards curl. Pictures will be posted soon. ;)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home