Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Who Wants to Fool Around?

After too much nitpicking, I finally have my final draft of my newspaper ad. Even though I barely tweeked my first draft, I really did take everyone's suggestions seriously. I threw around a bunch of variations, but kept coming back to my original idea. Ron was seriously rooting for me to veto the "frolic". He said it gives him a mental picture of a creepy man prancing through the yard (possibly without clothes but I have no idea where that comes from and frankly I don't want to know).


I argued that I liked the term frolic. Since most people seem to lose the ability or opportunity to frolic once they enter adulthood, I like the idea of offering that to the children I care for (and their parents are more than welcome to come frolic with us if they like). But because he was protesting the word "frolic", we went to the thesaurus for some other suggestions. You tell me, should I go with any of the alternatives?



Roget's New Millenniumâ„¢ Thesaurus

Main Entry: frolic

Part of Speech: verb

Definition: have fun

Synonyms: caper, carouse, cavort, cut capers, cut loose*, fool around*, frisk, gambol, hell, lark, let go*, let loose*, make merry, play, prance, raise hell*, revel, riot, rollick, romp, sport, spree

Source: Roget's New Millenniumâ„¢ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.3.1)


I'll let you insert the synonyms for yourself. You'll soon see why I decided to stick with the term "frolic".

Farm Kids Daycare- A place where children can
learn through play, make friends, and be loved. Come
play with our bunnies and frolic in our park-like setting.
Call Roxanne 555-4343.


5 Comments:

  • At 9:34 AM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I can't imagine why you didn't decide to go with "raise hell" instead of frolic. lol

    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the ad will bring in a ton of business! :)

     
  • At 10:51 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    I like frolic. I do remember in English, senior year of high school, I used that word and the teacher started laughing! she interpreted it like ron did.

     
  • At 12:31 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Suzy- That one was my favorite. ;)
    Thanks for the finger crossing.

    Bearette- I guess some people do find it entertaining. I just get a warm, fuzzy feeling inside when I hear it.

    Liz- We have a really cool grassy hill that they can somersault down. ;)

     
  • At 1:48 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    i think my english teacher equated it with "running naked". that will attract a special kind of kid ;)

     
  • At 8:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Farm Friends Daycare - A place where children can learn through play, make friends, and be loved. Come
    play with our bunnies and carouse in our park-like setting. Call Roxanne 555-4343.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home