Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Friday, September 14, 2007

Log the Jog

I'm two days into my new venture of training for a race. OK. Let's be honest here. It will probably be at least a year or more before I am ready to enter a race and have any hope of actually finishing it. But at least I'm trying!

My first day I really had no idea where I was headed, but I knew I wanted a different route than my typical one I go on for biking and walking. New scenery for a new mode of transporting my body from here to there. I mistakenly did not wear a watch so I had no idea how long I had been gone. I only have an hour in between Jesse leaving for the bus stop and when my first daycare parent arrives. On my way home I was positive that I had been gone for longer than an hour, so I attempted to jog the whole way back. Even though I knew for sure that I was keeping an anxious parent waiting at my doorstep, I could not pull out enough energy to do it. I alternated between jogging and walking until I arrived home not quite gasping but definitely dieing of thirst and exilerated (not to mention, sweating up a storm). Luckily, I did not spot anyone in the driveway. Whew! When I got inside and checked the clock, it told me that I had only been gone for 30 minutes. Really? Could have fooled me. Tonight I used my handy dandy Microsoft Streets program to map out my path. I was shocked to see that it was almost 3 miles. Woo hoo! Of course the second day I was too sore to jog more than a few songs worth and the rest of the time was spent speed walking.

I went shopping this evening for some actual running shoes as the ones I've been wearing have seen better days and don't have much support in them. Hopefully my feet and shins appreciate the new shoes. The new path I have chosen for tomorrow is 2 miles long with a few hills thrown in just for fun. Wish me luck!

5 Comments:

  • At 10:11 AM , Blogger Caro said...

    Oh, how fun. I wish we lived near each other. The closer I get to 40 the more I think it would be fun to be able to run in some sort of race. (Not to win, just to say I did it.)

     
  • At 10:11 AM , Blogger Caro said...

    GOOD LUCK!

     
  • At 10:27 AM , Blogger This suzy said...

    Good for you! I'm impressed. It's definitely more than I could do at this point. And I'm sure the shoes will help. :)

     
  • At 1:55 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Luck! The new shoes sound like a good idea.

     
  • At 12:41 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Caro- I'd invite you along with me, but you'd probably leave me in the dust. Tonight, Jesse said instead of jogging it's more like I'm limping. Yeah, thanks for the encouragement dear daughter.

    Suzy- Thanks! And the shoes have made a big difference.

    Bearette- Thanks. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home