Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Red faced and not even embarrassed

Let's see............

Went to the dermatologist last week. Felt reprimanded for how long I had waited to come get my acne issue resolved (didn't need that...like I hadn't already beaten myself up enough already).

"Wow, that's really bad", comments the doc as she shines the extremely bright spotlight right at my chin area. Again, thanks doc. At least my face didn't fail me and miraculously clear up right before my appointment. I wanted to show the doctor the reality of my situation. And she got it. Actually, I didn't mention to her that is has been far worse at times. She had already seen enough to be convinced.

Along with the three part cleansing system, I have been advised to steer completely clear of.......get this......cinnamon! She said no other food will cause acne. Cinnamon? Apparently she does not realize how much I love cinnamon. The worst part? It's pumpkin bread season. And pumpkin pie season. And apple pie season. I've yet to experiment with making my famous pumpkin bread sans cinnamon. This was Jesse's idea. I really hope, with all the other spices, that the cinnamon will not be too obviously missed.

The other thing I was told to avoid is any toothpaste with whitening or tartar control agents. I am to use the basic paste with no special additives. No gels. Just paste. That one is much easier to do than the cinnamon ban.

After the first two days of using the topical prescription treatment (Duac with 5% benzol peroxide), I literally felt like my face was burning, stinging, itching, bright red, and inflamed (and hot!) in all the areas where it had been applied. Which means the areas around my eyes and mouth are still white white. So, to sum up.....I look like a freak. But a freak with a face that's slowly clearing up. Now, after a week, my face is slowly getting less red and is so dried out that it feels like sandpaper. Of course, I am to not use ANY moisturizer whatsoever and no makeup.

I only have at least 5 1/2 more months of this to look forward to. If everything looks good at that point, I will be put onto maintenance. I asked the doc what maintenance consists of. She said that depends on what your situation looks like at the time. I just hope it doesn't involve putting the "evil cream" on my face anymore.

All I can hope for now is that the sunburned look goes away before the snow starts flying.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:48 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Wow, cinnamon. Who would've thought? Maybe cardamom is a good substitute?

     
  • At 10:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It will be worth it in the end. Hang in there! Will you take any prescription meds, like Accutane?

    And cinnamon? I don't know what to believe any more. I recently read that cow's milk can cause acne.

     
  • At 11:10 AM , Blogger This suzy said...

    One of my friends in college used some kind of prescrition cream for her acne and I remember it dried her face so badly. Seems like she was allowed to use a certain kind of lotion (or maybe Vaseline?) to help with it, but I may not be remembering that correctly. Either way, I hope it gets better for you!

     
  • At 1:05 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Bearette- I'll have to try that!

    Liz- She said, for now, we'll try without the antibiotics. I really didn't want to go that route, but I will if I have to. A while back I had found a whole list of foods to avoid (which I tried for a while with no affect). Apparently, according to this doctor, cinnamon is the one and only food that will cause a breakout. Obviously not everyone that eats cinnamon has this problem. Maybe if you're prone to it?

    Suzy- If I show no improvement as far as the dryness, I'm definitely going to ask if there's anything to resolve the problem. I can see it only getting worse as the cold, dry weather comes on. But, at least the acne is starting to clear. :)

     
  • At 11:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow..thank you! I read how cinnamon taken daily has a multitude of health benefits so I started to put a little in my coffee every morning and couldn't figure out WHY my face was breaking out! I googled "can cinnamon cause breakouts" and got your site. Thanks very much!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home