Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Don't be so snarky

Interesting tidbits from the weekend:

After a fun-filled 2 days of Jesse having a friend over, we decided to order a pizza, chicken, and jo-jos from the pizza place just around the corner. I asked hubby if he wanted to walk with me to go pick it up. He relunctantly agreed (thinks that we need to drive even though it's less than a mile and really nice weather) and as we're headed down our driveway he says, "Hey why don't we go the back way." I, of course, agreed without much thought. 'The back way' consists of walking along a swampy creek area that is at the back of the properties of about 5 houses (3 of which we have met and 2 of those are Bobby's friends houses). As we were rounding out the end of our little voyage I look over and hubby looks extremely nervous and uncomfortable. I remember him saying something along the lines of 'I couldn't be any more uncomfortable right now if I was walking naked through a crowded stadium'. I just said 'It's no big deal. The boys walk back and forth back here to get to each other's houses all the time (and ride their atv's and dirt bikes). No worries, we pick up our food, and head back. For the walk home we decide to go on the road except that there is this extremely large, grassy area that we would have to walk all the way around......so we shortcut. No biggie right? Just as we're approaching the road, the woman from the last house yells from their front steps, "Excuse me....EXCUSE ME.....CAN I HELP YOU WITH SOMETHING?????"

I sheepishly replied, "We were just shortcutting......"

"Well, we've noticed that happening a lot lately and we've been really trying to keep our yard looking nice (remember that their son and another neighbor boy are always riding motor bikes on this 'well manicured lawn'). We keep our dog tied out here sometimes and would really hate to have him bite someone (little yapper dog)." I don't know if the dog part was supposed to be a threat or anything.

"Sorry, we won't do it again" and then continued on home......on the street. I don't know if my response came out snarky, I was honestly trying to say that we didn't mean to offend anyone and now that we had, we wouldn't walk through there anymore.

I don't know if she recognized me or not. We've met twice before.....one of those times was when I was delivering loaves of pumkin bread to all of the kid's neighborhood friends. I really didn't feel like she needed to be so rude about it either. A simple 'We dont' appreciate people walking through our yard to shortcut' would have sufficed. The message would have still been taken as seriously and no hard feelings.

So now I'm wondering if I should go talk to her and say we REALLY didn't mean to offend you guys.....or should I just let it go. Is this just my obsessive need to be liked/accepted by people?

3 Comments:

  • At 2:47 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    I would just let it go...it sounds like she's on a power trip to me.

     
  • At 4:02 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I would let it go too. Sometimes things come out harsher than someone means it when they're fed up about something. I know I've done that before and ended up apologizing about how it came out, even though I meant the point I was trying to make. I wouldn't sweat it.

     
  • At 11:42 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Turns out the section of land that we shortcutted across is a public right-of-way.....so there! Hubby is a map geek so he had to go online to the county website and check where the actual property lines are. Not that we're going to step foot on it again and risk life and limb in case their "vicious" dog is tied up outside.

    Should make for an interesting bonfire in case they decide to come :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home