Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Camp Y-Noah

I realized that I totally neglected filling everyone in on my kid's camp experience. I know, pins and needles. ;)

A little more trivia:

What famous person attended Camp Y-Noah and was also a counselor there? Hint: he grew up in Cleveland. First correct answer gets an all expense paid 6 days/5nights of silly camp songs, trail rides, nature hikes, swimming AND canoeing in Lake Y-Noah, and a very smelly sleeping bag!

Jesse attended the Ranch Camp which consists of a week of horse riding lessons half of the time and normal camp activities the other half. Bobby attended the Teen Camp which consists of normal camp activities and normal teen activities (you can only imagine, right?).

Both the kids were in really good moods when we got there on Saturday (one girl in Jesse's group starting crying as soon as she saw her mom). They had performances for the parents to show what they had learned. Hubby and I had to split up since they schedule them for the same time. I went to Jesse's which consisted of the kids riding their horses around the indoor arena displaying their horsemanship skills. Previous to camp, her experience with riding was a few sporadic jaunts on friend's horses (being led by the owner). I was so impressed with her, I literally almost started crying right there on the spot. She learned all kinds of beginner skills, including posting. For those of you non-horse people (myself included), posting is where you use your legs to raise and lower yourself as the horse trots.....as to not get saddle sores. She had learned this the day before the performance and already looked like a pro! If I knew how to do a video thingee where you could watch, I would. Anyone know how to do it? Anyhoo, she was in heaven. She loved her horse and didn't want to leave her. :( We already have plans to send her next year and possibly set up for lessons (they do them year round at this facility). Oh, yes, I almost forgot. Before we even left on the first day of camp, she was telling her cabin mates the definition of manitanicals (y'all remember that one?).

Bobby's camp experience was a bit different. Although he did get some time with a horse. They have trail rides that you can sign your child up for (and pay an extra $10 for). I asked Bobby if he wanted me to sign him up for a ride. He gave me the answer I was expecting.......a profound no. Somehow his name ended up on the list and he was sent on a ride. I find it entertaining......he was only slightly annoyed.

A few days after they came back, Bobby wants to talk to me about something serious. He says he wants to tell mesomething, but also doesn't. I tell him that he doesn't have to be embarrassed with me....just spit it out. He says that one night in his cabin (when the counselor was not there), the boys started having "sex talk". Basically, immature boys bragging about things that they may or may not have done with girls. He said that he just stayed out of the conversation and the other two 13 year olds did the same. Until he was directly asked if he's ever "done" a girl. Don't you just love that term? I told him that even though these other boys all SAID that they've had sex does not necessarily mean that they have. And that he shouldn't be embarrassed if he honestly answers the question. I told him that in my opinion, teenagers are way too immature emotionally to handle having sex. I actually believe this, it's not just my overprotective parenting skills kicking in. You know what his response was? "I feel the same way". Now who knows if that will last for long, but I'll take it for now. He also was teased in the showers because he has not "developed" per se (he described it to me as: my "you know" parts are not big yet and I don't have any hair either). I love the fact that he is still comfortable enough to talk to me about these things. I always remind him that his dad AND I are here whenever he wants to talk about anything. But it's nice to know that he takes it to heart. I reminded him that people can be really insensitive (especially teenage boys who are trying to play macho) and he has no control over when his body develops. But his dad told him it's probably going to happen soon, since genetics do play a part in that, and he was 13-14 when he developed.


All in all, they both had a good time. Teasing and saddle sores aside.

I will be taking a short break for a few days as we have just decided to go see the Serpent Mounds in southern Ohio this weekend. We're also going to the Columbus Zoo and the COSI to see the Star Wars exhibit. Should be fun for all!

Tomorrow I have to find someone to care for our bunnies while we're gone. Oh yeah, did I mention that we got two of the most adorable bunnies in the whole wide world? Pictures will be posted soon!

6 Comments:

  • At 12:57 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Bunnies!!!

     
  • At 1:17 AM , Blogger mtcutie said...

    rHello Roxanne,

    Thanks for stopping by. I love those shots too… she’s a little cutie isn’t she?? Can you believe she’s 16 years old? Still looks like a puppy to me.

    Damn Oprah!! KLEENEX should pay HER some crying fee or something. That damn woman likes to make people cry.

    As for the famous councilor? I have no idea but my only guess is Drew Carey because his show was in Cleveland??

    www.photobucket.com lets you upload small video clips and gives you HTML to add it to your blog. See here’s one that I did
    click here!

    Hugs,

    Mt

    www.mtcutie.blogspot.com

     
  • At 8:18 AM , Blogger JaG said...

    Bunnies are cute!!

     
  • At 10:29 AM , Blogger This suzy said...

    Ah, horse back riding. I remember learning how to post. I always loved how it felt like a rhythm and that posting just made sense. Jesse might be able to agree with me on that. :)

     
  • At 1:43 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Marisa's the big winner of the Camp Y-Noah trivia! Drew Carey grew up in Cleveland which is why his sitcom was placed there. One time on Who's Line is it Anyway?, he said that he went to Camp Y-Noah and also was a counselor there. How cool would it be to have him as your counselor at camp? I have a feeling there were some wild times had. ;)

     
  • At 7:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am not a big star like Drew Carey but my partner and I had one of the biggest hits of 1982, Pac Man Fever / Buckner & Garcia and we both went to Camp Y-Noah. I wish I could see some pictures of the camp from the 50's when I went there. Fond memories.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home