Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Don't Forget to Feed the Goldfish

The results of the interview: not sure yet but it sounded positive. She made it sound like as long as my references checked out, that I would be called in for an orientation. If I do get the job, I'm considering a few options. But first, I need to talk with the other parent in our household to see if he agrees.

This morning, Jesse sees me dressed up (something that does not happen unless I'm headed to a wedding or a company Christmas party). She inquires why I am doing such a bizarre thing at such an ungodly hour.

"I have an interview for a job today."

"Ooooh, ooooh. What kind of job??"

"Working with elderly people to help them do things like go grocery shopping, or cleaning their house, or cooking for them."

"Why would you want to do something like that? Old people are just like goldfish. Once you get attached to them, they die."

(Anyone want to borrow this child for a while to brighten your days with joy?)

Anyhow, the interview went rather smoothly......not counting the part where I forgot my print out of my references and previous employment.....ran back to the car (this after getting to the area an HOUR before my appt.....doh....only to find that I had left it at home....doh....thank goodness for the cell phone memory feature). It's been so long since I've had an actual interview that I forgot the part where they ask you questions about yourself and you are then expected to brag about, none other than, yourself. I have a really hard time with this. Somehow I managed to pull a few tricks out of my bag. The interviewer asked, "What three qualities do you posess that you would consider beneficial to this job?"

"Compassion, patience, and a sense of humor."

Her response let me know I had pulled it off this time. Whew!!!

Now, no more talking about it so I don't jinx anything.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:38 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    self-promotion is hard. i think it's harder for women than men. we're trained to be modest.

    jesse is a riot!

     
  • At 12:13 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    Goldfish! What a child you have.

    I hate job interviews. I want a part-time job, but the thought of an interview makes me freeze.

     
  • At 1:06 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Bearette- I agree with you about the men vs. women thing. Yes, Jesse's a barrel of laughs.

    Carolyn- I'm sure you'd do just fine. If I can do it, ANYONE can do it.

     
  • At 2:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My fingers are crossed for you!!!

    "Why would you want to do something like that? Old people are just like goldfish. Once you get attached to them, they die."

    WOE! That is heavy! So glad you captured it! She'll think it's funny and weird in 10 years. :)

     
  • At 3:51 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    C - i hate interviews too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home