Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Things to Think About the Next Time You Vote

1. Children should have a nice, safe bus to ride to school. With today's economy, it is almost impossible for families to have a stay-at-home parent. So when the children are released at 3:00 p.m. in the afternoon and both parents are still at work, what are happening to those kids that live within 2 miles of the school? Are they to walk home alongside a roadway where the speed limit is 45 mph and vehicles are traveling 50-55 mph? Are they to walk to their daycare because the busses will no longer deliver them there?

2. No child should have to worry about whether or not they will have art , music, or gym class. No child should have to witness their beloved art teacher with tears brimming in her eyes while she tells the children of her impending doom.

3. No child should have to "pay to play" any sport or music program. Do you realize how many children that play sports or are a member of the band, continue to keep their grades up so they can continue to participate in these programs? How many of these children come from families that cannot afford to pay the $300 per sport participation price? My guess is quite a few. My guess is these are the same kids that will drop out of school if they have no incentive to attend.


As you can probably guess, our local school levy did not pass. The third try was not a charm. If we don't put money into the schools, then we are giving up on society in general. The trickle down effect will be much greater than anyone can fathom.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:26 AM , Blogger Caro said...

    Since you said I couldn't resist a peek, you made me unable to resist.

    Our kids can ride the bus to school, for a price. I remember when the bus was free.

    We only live a mile from the school, but there are no sidewalks and we have the same traffic situation.

    Art class, what's that?

    I want to know where all that money the California lottery was going to raise for schools went.

    We managed to pass a bond measure, but I'm sure it will only be a drop in the bucket.

    Or maybe it's a drop in the colander!

     
  • At 12:01 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I'm thankful that the schools here were pretty good when I went here and continue to be as such. Our school levy passed, which we were watching closely since my mom works for the schools. Thankfully, as far as I know, no one has to pay to play here, and the community still seems to value education enough to keep the money coming in. It's not a wealthy town or school district, but it's apparently enough, and I'm so glad for that.

     
  • At 4:26 PM , Blogger Citizen_Stu said...

    I agree with Liz.

    I don't have kids either but if I did I would hope their school is good and well funded.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home