Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Crater Face

Ever since Jesse's initial interest in not eating any more meat (which she has since given up), I became more interested in it myself. For quite a while, meat has kind of turned my stomach. The grease, the slime, sometimes the smell. And I always would end up feeling bloated and overstuffed after a big meal with meat and all the fixins.

And just in the past month or so, I was researching some natural remedies for acne treatment on the net. I think I've mentioned before my disgust at having acne and the beginnings of wrinkles. And the fact that I hate the way my face looks about 99% of the time. Instead of having break outs during "that time of the month", it is pretty much all month long.

I have not wanted to go the route of getting strong medications from the dermitologist. My sister took Retin-A in high school and it did some nasty things to her body. Her face eventually cleared up, but I don't want those side effects. I've done the Pro-Activ. It may be good for Jessica Simpson and Kelly Clarkson (and I'm sorry but those photos had to be close ups to even see their so-called acne). It somewhat sort of worked, but not enough to justify paying $40 a month and having massive amounts of the stuff stock piling in the cabinet. I've tried just about every over the counter product including some mild remedies like the Neutrogena bar and Cetaphil cream. No such luck. I still would have at least one to two large sized pimples (you know the kind that have a pulse...I'm not exaggerating) and a slew of small pesky ones.

So in my researching, I found a list of foods that are good for preventing acne and a list of foods that can cause acne. The list of good foods included foods that I mostly eat already. Among the list of bad foods was meat, dairy, sugar or sugary foods, and processed foods.

I had already been cooking mostly vegetarian meals (with scattered complaints) and so I decided to continue with the no meat thing. I was not willing to go to the extent of cutting out dairy, since that is a large portion of the protein sources I've been using. Plus I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cheese and am not willing to give it up. I also have a sweet tooth, but try to defray that by having Hershey's dark chocolate kisses around and grab a few when the urge hits. Processed foods are a little bit easier to weed out for me. I've been making more of an effort of not purchasing the processed goodies, which is not easy in a household of snackers who think they have to have stuff around to crunch and munch on.

Sooooo, while in the meat isle of Sam's Club, I (very quickly) passed through. This is when I finally admitted that I was not willing to cook meat (since I mostly cook dinner) for the family. I figure that if I'm the one cooking, it should be something that I am going to enjoy. Right?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to force the veg thing on everyone. And I haven't religiously cut out meat. But I have consciencely attempted to find other protein sources, even when we eat out. Which is not easy, by the way. This is Ohio. There are not exactly vegetarian restaurants on every corner (or even in every neighborhood). I have continued to eat fish, which conviently the rest of the family likes, so I suppose I'm going for the Pesco-Vegetarian status.

I didn't want to turn this into a huge deal, especially since at least half of the family are ravenous carnivores. And I don't think I've tried to push too many wierd dishes off on them so far. We've only had tofu twice in the last few months (which was quite yummy in fact). Lots of quiche, which Jesse devours and Bobby runs screaming from the kitchen at the sight of (he has never liked eggs even as a baby). I've got some pancake and waffle recipes that use mostly eggs and cottage cheese (shhhhh, don't tell the egg hater). I think my favorite new dish so far has been the sweet potato and peanut soup recipe that I procured from Bearette (thanks, btw). I made enough that it lasted all week. Mmmmmm.

So, does anyone have ideas on how veggies and carnivores can happily sit down at the same table without the cook working overtime?

As far as the Great Acne Desimation Experiment, I think it just might be working. Besides the food changes, there were also suggestions of drinking plenty of water and zinc supplements. I have always been a water drinker, but I have tried to consciencely step it up a bit. I had tried taking 50 mg. of zinc which didn't seem to be doing it after about a month. So I upped it to the maximum suggestion of 100 mg. Since then, I haven't had any huge outbursts, which is quite miraculous. If all goes well, I just might have to post a picture and prove that there really is a person behind all these words.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:42 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    good for you going veg in a hard state! i know what you mean, it's easy to be veg in ny or california...somewhat easy in massachusetts...but visiting d's relatives in philly, you get used to one vegetarian entree in the menu (or doctoring other entrees).

    i love cheese too, but i actually prefer soy milk and almond milk to dairy milk. so that is one way to reduce dairy.

    my sister took accutane in high school and she has never had a zit since, but it dried out her skin a lot, and i think it can have weird side effects.

    one of d's cousins commented on my skin looking better recently ("not that there was anything wrong with it before," she said quickly) and wanted to know why. i think it has to be the yoga. it improves your circulation and so forth. plus, i think if you do it enough, it makes you not want to eat processed food and stuff, if that makes any sense.

    i also like st. ives facial cleanser.

    sorry for the mammoth comment, i just related to a lot of your entry ;) and i'm glad you liked the soup.

     
  • At 12:43 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Also, jeanne lemlin has a lot of kid-friendly vegetarian recipes. i really like her cookbook Vegetarian Classics and also Quick Vegetarian Pleasures. They have a lot of entrees that are tasty and not "weird" (a common carnivorous complaint). She has kids.

     
  • At 8:10 AM , Blogger Citizen_Stu said...

    I don't think I would ever be able to give up meat but I am trying to improve mt diet at the moment

     
  • At 11:44 AM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I'm such a meat eater, I'm not sure I could ever give it up. In fact, I find that if I haven't eaten much meat, after a couple days I start to crave it. lol

     
  • At 1:21 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Bearette- Ironically we used to live in a small town that had tons of health food stores. Just my luck.
    Clear skin: Another good reason to do yoga. I always feel like eating healthier when I am exercising regularly. I think they go hand in hand. Thanks for the book info, I've already put library holds on all of them. :)

    Stu- I don't think going Veg. is for everyone. That's why I'm not trying to force anything on the rest of the family.

    Liz- Thanks for that author info. I will definitely have to check that one out. It's a freaking SNAP after all!

    Suzy- I bet the mere mention of chicken parmigiana makes your mouth water. ;)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home