Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Internet: A great way to meet up with friends, old and new

The internet is a strange thing.

I just recently found some old schoolmates by searching on MySpace (I don't usually go there because most of it is crap, but one of my best friends from high school is on there and so....). Anyhow, I attended high school in California yet I found a friend who lives in Indiana. It is close, but not THAT close. But the "small world" part of this story is that she has a close friend that she visits a few times a year that lives about 15 minutes from where I live. So, we are planning on meeting for lunch the next time she is in town. The other small world koinkydink is that her and her family used to be regular customers in the mom and pop store we owned back in the day. Weird.

I've "met" a very diverse group of people through blogging. Sometimes I feel like it's a waste of time if you're never going to meet any of these people in real life. But then I forget about that when Liz cracks me up with another one of her antics with wine bottles (or posts pictures of her darling child). Or when I get to share in the joy of someone's wedding day. Or the frustrations and joys of being a new parent. Or the goings on of city life and lots of cute dogs. Or the artistic talents and funny anecdotes of an Englishman. Or witnessing a prime example of what commitment really is. Or laughing my butt off at the sarcastic humor of a couple of fellow moms. Or the insightfulness of these fellow bloggers. Or the uniqueness, honesty and beauty (both inner and outer) of this gal. I've loved wasting many hours sharing in parts of your lives, whether they be funny, tragic, or intellectual thoughts. Whether we ever meet in person or not, I guess I don't really feel like that time was wasted at all. Especially with all the long distance support that you have given me from time to time. Every last comment has always meant a lot to me. (For some reason this has taken a really sappy turn for the worse, so let's move on shall we?)

And last, but not least, I may soon have a birth mom-in-law to add to the Christmas card list next year due to this weird thing we call the internet. Ron checked his classmates.com profile and the message that he sent to his birth mom months ago, was finally read. I have my fingers crossed that this turns out to be a positive thing for us.

**Disclaimer--If you were not mentioned above, it is not because you are not important enough, smart enough, or that people don't like you. It is simply an oversight on my part. My apologies. If you complain enough, I'll mention you next time.




6 Comments:

  • At 1:27 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    I'm so glad she read the message! Hopefully they will be able to connect soon.

    I like your disclaimer :)

     
  • At 4:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Awww... thanks!

     
  • At 11:19 AM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I feel so honored to be mentioned, and in such a sweet way too. :)

     
  • At 2:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I live in Memphis, TN, a city of approx. 600,000 people and you wouldn't believe what a small town it is!! There is always someone who knows someone, ya know.

     
  • At 4:11 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Bearette- Yep, I'm glad too. I'm also glad that she responded very quickly (more on that later...)

    JaG- You're very welcome. :)

    Liz- Like, oh my gosh! Gag me with a spoon! If you want to move there, you'd better start saving now. It ain't cheap no matter where you go. My brother is buying the house we grew up in from our parents. It's a little 3 bedroom on 2 acres in the podunk town I grew up in. It appraised for $250,000....my parents bought it for under 50 grand back in '76. They also let my brother and his wife finish paying off the original payment (can you say "playing favorite") (just kidding actually, but man that's a steal).

    Also, I love all your adorable pictures of Alex. Even though I'm not a dog person, they make me want to give him lots of hugs (no kisses though).

    Suzy- A sweet mention, for a sweet person. :)

    Rachel- I'm always finding strange coincidences where I end up saying, "It's a small world."

     
  • At 2:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm not a fan of MySpace, but the internet is a great way to find old friends. I'm happy for you.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home