Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Ho Hum

And now to follow my upbeat new year post with a dismal one.

I feel stuck. Paralyzed. I'm not exactly sure what else to do at this point.

I've continuously run ads (expensive ones, I might add) in the newspaper. I've handed out and posted flyers where ever I could. I've told people at the school and elsewhere that "I'm starting up my daycare and looking for clients". I even resorted to child labor. Jesse handed out some of my business cards to friends at school who have a new baby sibling at home.

I've received a few calls. Some from people still just "calling around". Some from people who soon realized that I was too far out of their commute path. And some from people looking for employment (if I was advertising for a job, I would have placed my ad in the help wanted section!).

So, what to do? I'm stumped. The tightness in my chest continues to grow every day that passes. The bills come. The tightness increases. Is there something else that I could/should be doing? Maybe this is payback for all the times that it was so easy to build up my business.

The money stress is one thing. And then there's the whole wanting to feel like I have a purpose. I've loved the whole Stay-at-Home mom thing. Even though it wasn't planned for me to be off of work for this long, I've loved having the freedom to volunteer at the schools and be here for my kids after school without having the distraction of a house full of little ones. Even though I've always technically been a Stay-at-Home mom because my job is at home, I have not always been able to make my children the #1 priority. Screaming infants and toddlers most of the time overrule moody school-agers. But those demanding infants and toddlers also help pay the bills.

So, what to do? I have now resorted to offering care round the clock. Even though this might interfere with my family life (if I ever DO get any kids), I don't feel like I have a choice at this point. I don't like to get this desperate that I would take anybody, even if I have an eery feeling upon meeting them. But, again, I AM THAT DESPERATE.

Back to placing those ads......

5 Comments:

  • At 1:15 PM , Blogger anne said...

    Ahh, Rox. That totally sucks. You are doing pretty much everything you can. Have you posted on Craigslist? I have a feeling it's still more of an east coast-west coast thing, but it's worth a shot.

    I'll be looking for a job too in these next few months. I certainly empathize, even if I can't help.

    One of my aunts lives near you - I wonder if you guys are close enough for daycare? She has one small child and two older ones. She also probably knows people close-ish to you. I'll call her if you would like me to. Email me for details - I don't want to be too specific here on a blog.

     
  • At 2:07 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    I'm sorry you're going through this. D always says perseverance is a major part of success. Keep trying. Maybe you could widen your net, advertise in other nearby cities' papers, that sort of thing? Maybe online advertising?

     
  • At 4:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How about offering a "getting to know you" special...offer a couple weeks or a month free. After people come to trust you, you'd probably have them for life.

    -Sandy

     
  • At 8:29 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Thanks guys. I do have my ad listed online with the local paper's site. Hadn't thought of Craigslist though. Will check into. My previous experience was in CA and I always filled my spaces relatively quickly. I NEVER had to pay to advertise, but I also had more word of mouth connections there, which is a biggie. I have listed on my flyers a "first week free" deal. But I guess I could/should offer that in the newspaper ads and online ad also. I like the "getting to know you" phrase. Thanks to you all for being supportive and full of ideas!

     
  • At 9:17 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    Have you tried drop-in daycare to start?

    Sometimes Moms need somebody who will watch the kid while they're at a doctor's appointment, etc.

    Then word will get around that you're good and hopefully full-time will follow.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home