Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Hodge Podge

What do you get when you combine loud music, nacho chips and hot dogs and soda, and rampant teenage body odor? A junior high school dance, that's what!

I volunteered to help out at the dance (and, of course, reminded Bobby that I would not embarrass him. Not on purpose at least.)

I mostly helped out in the snack bar. The most popular items were candy, slush puppies, and Vault soda. Oh yes, the next generation is on the diet of champions. Wheaties, step aside.

Jesse went in to use the bathroom. Upon returning, she informed me that there are some very talented poets in junior high. "Guess what I read on the wall of the bathroom? It was soooooo gross!! Hickory dickory dock (do you see it coming....I didn't), Your mom sits on my cock." This was in the girl's bathroom, mind you. What sweet children.

On a more sentimental note, the relationship with the newest member of our family is progressing. She has called on the phone twice. The first call lasted an hour and a half long. She is going to call back tomorrow so she can get a chance to talk to me. I'm glad that she's a gabber so I can hold down my end of the conversation gracefully. The more emails and phone calls are made, the more similarities are discovered between Ron and his birth mom. This is all so new to him, but he is handling it much better than I ever would if it was me. I am going to do my best to let this be his journey, even though I am full of curiosity and enthusiasm. I know how huge this is for him and for her, too. Their lives will literally never be the same again. There is nothing that can take the place of finally meeting someone that you are related to genetically. I know that he has the kids and they mean the world to him. But for some reason, and I can't put it into words, this is something completely different. She is making some preliminary plans of coming here in January. Sort of a detour of an already planned trip to visit her mother who will be having surgery. I am so happy that she is willing and able to allow not just Ron, but the kids and I into her life. And I think that he is finally ready to reciprocate.

Lots to think about and digest. Until later........

5 Comments:

  • At 4:16 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I'm so glad things are going well so far! :)

     
  • At 9:22 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Suzy- Thanks. I'm extremely thankful for that, too. More updates soon.

    Liz- Thanks. Vault is apparently the new thing. I thinks it's pumped with extra sugar and caffeine. Exactly what teens need, right? ;)

     
  • At 12:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Love the dance ancedote! :) Glad the birth mom is being so nice.

     
  • At 6:49 PM , Blogger Citizen_Stu said...

    You missed out on a chance to embarrass bobby? Shame :p

    Glade to hear everything else is going well

     
  • At 5:59 PM , Blogger The Beast Mom said...

    wow - that's a huge "addition" to the family. Hope it all goes well as everyone adjusts!

    Just wanted to stop by and wish you all a very merry Christmas!

    -bm

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home