Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Saturday, May 05, 2007

It's Official- Part 2

Thanks to everyone for all the great "things to do" ideas. Some of them we'd already thought of and tucked away on the mental list.

After a somewhat emotional discussion about spending money on extras and who deserves to be happy and treated special, we have booked the trip to NYC. I guess we decided it's kind of a way to make up for last year's anniversary. Remember that one? At the time I was ok with not doing anything for our 15th anniversary. I was just happy to have Ron home and attempting to get back to some normalcy. We've never really done anything for our anniversary any other year, so why should the 15th be any different?

Anyhoo, I used Hotwire.com to book the hotel. Even though we didn't intend to, we may end up sharing a bathroom and sleeping on a double bed. The rooms look decent in the pictures though. We'll also be staying right in the heart of Times Square (I've always wanted to say that....no not really). All of that for a mere $109 per night + applicable taxes and various fees. Hot wire is actually a great way to get cheap(er) hotel rates as long as you don't like the element of surprise. You get to choose the general location and the rating of the hotel. You then commit to the purchase and then they immediately tell you which hotel you have just agreed to stay at. It's somewhat nerve-wracking clicking the button, but I like to live on the edge! (not really)

Amongst the things that we'd like to do while we're in town:

Natural History Museum
At least one art museum
Times Square
NBC studios (maybe)
Empire State Building
Broadway or Off Broadway show (we might check into the tickets you can buy the day-of at a 25-50% discount)
Brunch with Bearette :)
Fireworks-hopefully with a good view
Greenwich Village (to check out all the hip people)
Central Park

Things that we're going to pass on this time

Statue of Liberty

Shopping 5th Ave. (I could really care less about $5oo handbags....I just bought a brand new one at Goodwill for $2 :)

FAO Swartz (we'll probably save that for when the kids are with us)

David Letterman or any of the other shows (it would be kind of fun to be in the guest audience, but I don't know if we want to take the time to do it)

6 Comments:

  • At 10:41 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    My sister likes hotwire, too. I think my mom may have used it also.

    You can combine brunch & greenwich village because that's where it is! Cool, huh?

     
  • At 11:22 AM , Blogger Caro said...

    A trip without kids, congrats!

     
  • At 6:11 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    Sounds like a great trip!! I still haven't been to NY myself, so I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of everything.

    I couldn't use Hotwire myself. I was going to try Priceline one time for a plane ticket, but when I got there it was the same way - you have to commit to it before actually seeing what you're going to get. I just couldn't do it, so you're braver than I am!

     
  • At 1:06 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Bearette- Sounds like a great deal to me!

    Caro- We're going to attempt to do as many non-kid things as possible. Should be fun!

    Suzy- I'm not sure if I'm brave or not. Just thrifty (or cheap).

     
  • At 12:58 PM , Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

    Cool, I hope the two of you have a great time!!

     
  • At 11:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    U should try www.reservediscountrooms.com. There are a ton of coices and you can pick hotels in particular areas of the city (i.e. Manhattan,Madison Square Garden,SoHo,Bryant Park). Plus, many of the rates are slashed. I have found good rates, especially midweek.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home