Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Monday, June 04, 2007

As of Late

I only use that term in jest because it seems like it's one of those new catch phrases that people like to use to sound smart. I try to avoid sounding smart because then people will expect too much of me. Yeah, that's right. I'm a genius, I only play dumb.

Anyhoo, here's some tidbits "as of late".

***This weekend we realized that Nate had not mentioned when his graduation ceremony was going to be. Apparently (according to our very well informed 13 year old), they have made no announcements at school about the details of the ceremony or any dance/party celebration. He did know that today was "Inflatable Day" at school though. It's a good thing to stay informed.

***I took Jesse shopping for her first real bras. They have padding and an underwire and everything. Yikes! Her previous bras were the little cotton sports bra type that you might call a training bra, whatever that means. They were just not doing the job anymore . I'm thankful that she's one of those girls that is able to embrace her changing body. I'm also scared that she's embracing it a little too well. She said she can't wait til she's 15. "Cuz then I'll be fully developed." *blush*

***My mom is at home recovering from a hyserectomy. She has dealt with tremendous problems for the last 20 years going through menopause. I fear that I will have some of the same issues as they are supposed to be mostly genetic. She asked the nurses to take pictures of her uterus so she could see (after the surgery) what's been causing her so much trouble for such a long time. I have a feeling these pictures will show up at Thanksgiving dinner at some point.

***I had to give up on making/finishing the fingerless gloves for my dad's Father's Day gift. Now I'm back to the original idea of creating a coffee package for him.

***I just updated our dry erase calendar on the fridge. The NYC trip finally showed up at the bottom. Yippee! Note to self: Must. Start. Making. Lists.

10 Comments:

  • At 9:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jesse cracks me up.

    I wish I had embraced bra-wearing as readily as she does. I was horribly embarrassed about it, certain that everyone could tell.

     
  • At 10:54 AM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I didn't have a school graduation until I finished high school, so I'm wondering if the school hasn't said anything because there's no graduation?

     
  • At 12:35 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Re NYC: I know you want those doughnuts!! Their pancakes are good too...lemon ricotta, with strawberry. Mmm.

    You might want to give Jesse a curfew ;) I think her confidence & looks are going to make her popular with the boys :)

     
  • At 2:09 PM , Blogger anne said...

    Your daughter is funny. I'm glad for her too, that she's taking her changing body in stride. I didn't - my poor mom bought me a bra and presented it to me... and I dramatically flung it across the room and refused to talk about it. Yep. I was *that* kind of daughter. Good luck to you!

    I'm sorry to hear about your mom, but I hope she's feeling better. I think it's great that she asked for a picture of her uterus! I hope they take it for her.

     
  • At 2:26 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Liz- (at first, I typed "Lix" which would be a cool stage name (aka: Licks) Are you still embarrassed about bra wearing? (hee!)

    Suzy- He actually said they made an announcement about it, but he has no idea what day, time, or where. Again, staying fully informed of the *important* things like "Inflatable Day". :)

    Bearette- Lemon ricotta pancakes with strawberry!!!! Are you kidding? I already know what I'm ordering is all I'm sayin'.

    Jesse *will* be popular with the boys if she doesn't scare them away with her animal noises first. Or maybe, being boys, they'll be intrigued by it.

    Anne- My sister was like that, too. She would absolutely not wear any bras with the little bows or ANY lace whatsoever. She was very much a tomboy and applauded the "bra burners".

     
  • At 12:26 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    ugAt the Thanksgiving table? Yikers!

    I hated getting boobs.

    Regarding the potatoes blog comment, I am still one of those women.

    I have very little hip/waist ratio. Working on it though. :P

    What worked for you?

     
  • At 2:31 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Caro- I started with forcing myself to go on a brisk 45 min. walk in the morning and also 45-60 minutes of pilates 5 days a week. I'm now down to just doing water aerobics 2 times a week and eating too much. My waistline is beginning to show the results, too. I really liked (and need to start back to it) pilates. It helps with my back, flexibility, and I can do it in the middle of the day during naptime. I just need to get myself motivated again. (ugh!)

     
  • At 9:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Bra wearing is pretty much a no-exceptions necessity at this point, Roxanne. :D

     
  • At 4:00 PM , Blogger Citizen_Stu said...

    As a male I've never understood what training bras are for. What are you training them to do? Take part in the tour de France? The Olympics? I just don’t get it.

    :p

     
  • At 10:05 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Stu- Jesse and I were actually discussing this during our bra shopping expedition and we both agreed, it's training *yourself* into the idea of wearing something constraining on that portion of your body. Maybe, for guys, it would be easier explained like this: imagine yourself having to wear a "cup" for the rest of the days of your life. Not very fun, eh?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home