Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

New York City: Day One

5:00 am --- We wake and get ready for our 6:30 am flight. Luckily we chose to fly out of the smaller nearby airport which takes a mere 15 minutes to drive to.

7:55 am --- Arrive at La Guardia. After fruitlessly searching for the news stand that sells the Metrocard pass, we decide to fork out an extra four bucks to ride the bus to the subway station.

10:00 am --- Since we arrive at our hotel so early we're not able to check into our room. We had already expected this, but luckily they have lockers at the back of the lobby so we could leave our bags (2 fully loaded backpacks). We head out to the Empire State building. Unfortunately we had forgotten the camera back in the locker. Even though we didn't capture it on film (or pixels), the view was spectacular. And it gave me a good frame of reference as to what was where. Even so, I was still turned around the whole time because for some reason I had it stuck in my head that Greenwich Village is north near Central Park. Oh well. It's a good thing I had a lover of maps to lead me around. :)

12:00 pm --- We head back to the hotel to check in and get our bags (but more importantly, our camera). The room is just big enough for the double sized bed and a little bit of walking space. It's pretty much what we expected. Because we had only slept about 3-4 hours the previous night, the bed sucked both of us in for the next few hours.

5:00 pm ---We woke just in time to grab some dinner at a deli along the way to the fireworks show. It was there, waiting along the East River, that I had the opportunity to stand in the LONGEST BATHROOM LINE EVER. Two stalls+thousands of people=Not fun. To give you a good frame of reference, the men's bathroom actually had a line. Which we all know NEVER happens.

9:00 pm --- After being entertained with the rise and fall of umbrellas every time it started sprinkling, Macy's put on a decent fireworks show. We were able to see the first half, while the second was hidden behind the cloud of smoke. It was still entertaining, but by no means anything close to the show we witnessed in Vancouver, WA. Of course, I don't know if we'll ever witness anything that spectacular.

Isn't it pretty? Too bad that guy's hat in the bottom right corner had to pop in there.

Don't I look thrilled?

10:30 pm --- We make the trek back to Times Square, collapse and prepare for the following day.......


  • At 1:47 PM , Blogger His suzy said...

    Yes, you do look thrilled. lol

    You guys did a lot for the first day! I certainly don't envy the bathroom line.

  • At 2:00 PM , Blogger Liz said...

    I love that picture.

    You know who you remind me of?

    Jesse. :)

  • At 4:30 PM , Blogger Bearette24 said...

    That was more than we do in a year here ;)

    I did go up to the top of the Empire State Building once, but I got freaked out almost immediately. It feels like the building is swaying a little.

  • At 7:17 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Suzy- I felt sorry for the boy in front of me doing the pee dance for the last 15 minutes. His mom was trying to do anything she could to distract him.

    Liz- You see the resemblance? ;)

    Bearette- If I think about it too much, heights freak me out. I always imagine what would happen if I accidentally dropped something over the edge and other not so fun thoughts. I didn't notice the swaying but I have on other buildings.

  • At 9:16 AM , Blogger Liz said...

    I was just thinking about your day care business last night (don't ask me why). How do you handle your clients when you want to take a vacation?

  • At 10:17 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Liz- I let them know at least a month ahead of time, unless it's an emergency or if I'm sick (but I very, very rarely have to take off for being sick). But for vacations I can plan ahead and I am closed for that time. Most of my parents either have family or close friends to cover for those days, or they decide to take their vacation during that time. Once, when I had two part-time assistants, I had them take over while I went camping so I wouldn't have to inconvenience parents. It did not turn out as well as I had hoped. Although I just had the neighbor lady (she takes care of our bunnies while we're gone) offer to cover for me since she is retiring soon. She has raised four children and seems like one of those natural grandmotherly types.

    Of course I always consult with the parents whenever I plan on having someone come help me out. And I always choose people on the same basis as I would for my own children.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home