Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

More broken, mixed up memories

Here's a little continuation on how my hubby and I got to know each other. Recap: he gave me a note to go to halloween party, we "went out" for a couple of weeks, I got bored of hanging in band room and missed my friends, I avoided him, he finally met up with me, I gave him the "brush off", he gave me "that" look. Fast forward three years. I am a senior. He has been out of HS for 2 years. I am desperate enough for a "real" boyfriend at this point that at night I go through my yearbooks, scanning through the pictures to see who I want to potentially go after. I told you, I was desperate with a capital D. One of the guys from band was a potential. He kinda sorta flirted with me but then he did that with a lot of the girls. So I wrote him(what I thought) was a really cool poem. It basically was asking him to go to the Christmas formal with me. I must say that I don't blame him for turning me down. He was probably a foot shorter than me and 2-3 years younger. That set me back for a while. I did not "approach" any guys after that for a while. I was currently volunteering to be the videotaper for the girls basketball team. This was quite interesting in itself. My sister, who is 5 years older than me and played all 4 years of b-ball at this school, was the assistant coach. This is how I got myself wrangled into this position. I really did not want to be the louser videotaping every freakin' game holding the massive videocamera for over an hour. This thing was a behemouth. So halfway through the season, I get this bright idea to write a sappy love note laced with an even sappier poem to hubby(not my hubby yet, but you follow?). He was working at the local drug store and every time I would be in there, I would try to avoid him but somehow always ended up meeting up coming around a corner or something. Embarrassed because I never really did apologize for my heartless way of breaking up with him, I would sulk away. So after I had this letter finished, I also had to make up a plan to get it to him. I did not drive at the time and none of my friends did either. So I talked my mom into going for frozen yogurts (the craze at the time). The yogurt shop was right beside where he worked. I faked feeling sick when we got there and said I just wanted to stay in the car. I'm an such a bad liar, but my mom bought it and said she'd be right back. I was lucky enough to spot his car right away, a green honda accord. Luckily, luckily it was the right green honda or else my life would have turned out much differently. The next day I was shocked and pleased all at once when he called. When I got off the phone, of course my mom wanted to know what it was all about. I NEVER got calls from guys. I just told her that he called to see if I could go out to get a soda and talk. Years later hubby spilled the beans at a family get-together. Noone ever knew that I was the instigater in this whole thing. Sweet, little, innocent Roxanne. Who knew? Desperation can do funny things to people. So that first time we went out neither of us knew what to expect. We ended up talking a bit, walked down the levee of the river, and kissed and hugged and snuggled like we had been doing it for years. It somehow felt so familiar to me but it was also very strange. This was someone that I had purposely tried to avoid like the plague for many years. It was mostly because of my guilt for how I made him feel way back when and also that damn look he gave me. I never thought we would ever get back together but I also can not picture myself with anyone else. We seem to be perfect for each other, problems and all. I think we relate to each other really well. I know we have our times where communication is not at it's best, but every couple experiences that at some time or other. For the most part, we are there for each other when we need a shoulder to cry on, a hug, a "love you", a kick in the butt (figuratively), a roll in the hay, a word of encouragement, or just someone to snuggle with and be that soft place to land at the end of a really hard day. I think knowing that we will bethere for each other through "thick and thin" as the wedding vows say, is enough to keep us going in this crazy mixed up world.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    awwww how cute ^_~
    i have had relationships, but haven't been married yet o_O
    that's a good thing right?

     
  • At 10:55 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    I don't think anyone should be married at the tender age of 16. 18(almost 19) was young enough for me although at the time I didn't think twice about it. No regrets, but doesn't hurt to wait also.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home