Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

I'm coming out of the closet (no...not THAT closet!)

I have always been leary of the internet and all of the creepy people that are out there lurking. You always hear warnings to parents to be careful and watch over your kid's shoulders to make sure they aren't getting lured by some pedifile. I'm not sure if that occurs much with blogs or if it is mainly in chat rooms. I guess that is part of the reason why I have wanted to remain anonymous. In my "real life" I am usually pretty guarded I think more out of habit than anything. I like to meet new people and love to have friends that are close enough to consider them like family. I just seem to always hold myself back and don't allow myself to get close to people (other than family). I have really tried to figure out what it is that holds me back. I think it is partly that I don't think I am worthy of other's friendship. Maybe this is carried over from my childhood. I don't know but what I DO know is that it is a cycle that I want to stop.

So back to the internet creep issue. I know that if a stalker wants to find you, they will. You can have seemingly nice neighbors that could be stalking your children while playing with their friends on the street.

And as far as me using my blog as a journal and remaining anonymous so that I can get some of my innermost thoughts out, well I think that is out the window. If anyone who knows me personally (before I posted pictures of the fam) didn't know it was me, than I don't think they were paying close enough attention. I guess what I am saying is that I am giving up the facade and stop hiding behind walls...........in the internet world and in the "real world".

5 Comments:

  • At 9:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    There are so many reasons for being anonymous, or partially anonymous, or completely open.

    I don't use my real name in case future employers google me. I'm not ashamed of anything on there, but not every entry is the first impression I'd want to make on a boss!

     
  • At 2:57 PM , Blogger Mark said...

    There are always reasons to be anonymous, probably depends on the reasoning.

     
  • At 8:44 PM , Blogger mtcutie said...

    Thank you so much for your comment yesterday. I was just suffering from another bout of down days! I’m trying really hard to get over this funk though…So I spent most of yesterday compiling some stuff that makes me laugh. I’ve added them to my blog in hopes that it gives other people a much needed smile. Come check it out!

    As for the anonymous thing, there are times I wish I had stayed anonymous because of some creepy people that have made my life miserable that I met VIA blogging. Mostly this was on MSN and that’s partly the reason I switched over to Blogger.com.

    What I learned is that it didn’t take them long to find me and running just wasn’t an option. Blogging to me is therapy; well that’s what it was when I started. Now it’s more like therapy and support. Some of the friends I have made with my blogging are people I plan to stay in touch with forever. Some have just exchanged emails with, some telephone numbers and 2 I plan on meeting within the year if my health permits.

    I think with me personally it’s the love connections that make me uncomfortable. Most of the ‘connections’ I make now are girlfriend. Friends that I can just get online with and talk about my day etc etc… they are a support group I never knew I needed but am sooo glad I have.

    One major lesson I leared. There are creepy stalkers EVERYWHERE… not just on the internet and we can’t let them win by denying ourselves of friends. We just have to be aware of signs that steer us either towards or away from an individual. Those rules apply in “real life” and in your “online life”

    mt

     
  • At 5:35 PM , Blogger Mr. DUDE MAN said...

    I agree with the bloggers. My main reasons for being discrete is:
    1. Pedofile stalkers(for the politically correct-I don't hate gay people or am I homophobic)
    2. Employers, either current or future.
    3. People I know personally.
    4. Serial Killers. I'd try to defend myself at all cost if they found out my true identity. Maybe by a gun.....maybe.

     
  • At 9:41 PM , Blogger Brie said...

    In the end, it's yout choice whether to remain anonymous or not. If it helps, weigh the pros and cons, and be honest about it, not biased. No one can make you "come out" if you don't want to. So, it's up to you. I don't think we'll hate you if you don't.Lol, have fun deciding.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home