Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

A Day in the Life..........

...of Roxanne. Well, actually a couple of days in the life of...but who's counting?

Friday I hit the yard sale circuit. For anyone that works with kids, this is a great way to pick up new and interesting materials for really cheap. I found this one lady that was trying to unload a bunch of craft stuff. I ended up leaving with about 3 boxes full of stuff for $2! Score!

I get home at exactly 3:05 pm. The door is locked and no sign of Bobby. He typically gets home from the bus at around 3:00. Wait around for him to show up. No sign still at 3:30. Just when I'm about to start checking with his neighborhood friends to see if they've seen him, I get a phone call. "Um mom, this is me Bobby. I didn't have my house key so I decided to ride my bike to my friend, Wesley's house. I just got here and wanted to let you know what I was doing." *silent sigh of parental relief* I know that it will not get any easier the older he gets. We'll move on from bikes to cars (oh dear God just shoot me now).

Hubby comes home from work and heads straight to the bedroom. No "hey". No "thank God it's Friday let's go out to eat". So I give him about a half hour or so to either A) sulk for a while and then decide to come out on his own B) take a dump, sulk, go straight to bed C) sulk and decide that he's never coming out of the bedroom again because the world is too scary. It's always a dilemma for me. Do I just leave him be until he HAS to come out or die of starvation. Do I go see if he needs me....sometimes for just a hug, shoulder to cry on, or to talk. So I decide to enter to bedroom of doom, asking if he wants me or to be left alone. He wants me this time. Turns out the hug, shoulder, talk combo was right on this time. He basically feels like he is such a burden to me and the kids that we would be better off without him. He wants to be able to just go away (I don't think it's from the living world this time) and then we wouldn't have to deal with the emotional roller coaster that he is always on. So, again, I try to remind him that we are all better off with him no matter how many problems he brings with him. The good parts very much outweigh all of the evils of depression. Crying session continues, both of us. Then I realize that Bobby is not back from his friend's house yet. So I decide to pick him up. Fast forward about an hour and it's now 7:00pm. Jesse says that she was supposed to call her friend to let her know it was ok to come spend the night at our house tonight (oh yeah, I forgot I had agreed to that one). She calls, makes arrangements, we now have a guest for tonight and tomorrow. I agree to take them to the "Y" pool when she arrives. They're open til 10:00pm so no problem.
We get to the pool only to find out that we have exactly 30 minutes to change and swim. Oh well, better than nothing. The girls are STARVING when we get done swimming so we stop at McD's for some grub. The mealtime conversation was quite intriguing. They discussed many a thing that 8 year old girls should not be concerned with. At one point my lovely daughter stuck her straw between her legs pretending it was a penis. Have I ever mentioned that she is obsessed with genitalia? She's even made up a word for testicles.......mannitanicals. Do not ask me where that came from. One evening the male genitals came up into the dinner conversation and she blurted out "Mannitanicals!!!!!!" and burst into a fit of giggles. Did I also mention that she has been pantsing boys at school? We have discussed all of the reasons why you should not do this to people (without getting into the whole sexual harrassment issue) and her response was this: "Yeah, but Jacob likes it". What do you say to that?

Back to the sleepover. The rest of the evening went somewhat smoothly. In the morning we had to go to the DMV to get the title for our tent trailer changed into our name. What a mess that was. Let me make it short with a few of the highlights: got berated by the grandmotherly clerk for :
1. not raising my right hand fast enough (I was daydreaming about being on a beach somewhere) to testify that I am who I am.
2. we had to stand up and sit down so many times that I thought I was in a Catholic church (never been to one but from what I've heard you get a lot of exercise).
3. heard some young guy getting berated by a young female clerk because he had a different address on his ID (that he just got) and his title. "I KNOW where you live, but you need to tell me which address you're going to SAY you live at."
4. clerk helping us get our license plates asks how much the vehicle weighs. She was trying to do a commercial trailer license for it. "Um, I don't know exactly how much it weighs. I guess it depends on how many bags of marshmallow we have stuffed in the cupboards". We didn't actually say this, but it would have been fun.

After Jesse's friend went home we decided to go somewhere for dinner. We decided on the Chinese buffet. They have an ok variety and it fills everyone's guts without breaking the bank. Jesse is reading the paper placemats to see what animal each of us is. She does this every time we go to a Chinese restaurant and EVERYTIME we have the discussion that hubby was born in 1970 on our calendar, but on the Chinese calendar it actually counts as a different year because his birthday is on Jan. 3. Anyways, she reads that she is compatible with both hubby's and Bobby's animals. "Maybe I can marry Dad......or maybe Bobby. No, then my kids will turn out funny."

I finally decided to try sushi. Two bites and I'm convinced that I can live without it. Let's just say that seaweed tastes pretty much like how you would think seaweed would taste. I've heard people say that if you get the right sauce that sushi is pretty good. I figure that if you have to cover up the flavor of a food in order to make it palatable, than what's the point?

And guess what? There's still one more day left to this fun-filled weekend!

4 Comments:

  • At 10:15 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    My friends and I were total scamps when we were eight ;) Not really, but I remember telling my best friend at the time about the birds and the bees (she didn't know), and she got really mad at me and said, "My parents would never do that!"

    Also, did you hear about the family that got banned from the Chinese buffet? They took too much food and got kicked out! It was on TV, but the woman had her face shaded over because she didn't want to be recognized by other Chinese buffet owners ;)

    I'm sorry about your husband. I hope things look up soon.

     
  • At 10:16 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Correction - there was a video on the computer (MSN) about the Chinese buffet people. I don't know if it was actually on TV or not.

     
  • At 12:29 AM , Blogger mtcutie said...

    Hey Roxanne,

    Oh... a Day in the life of…. I did one of those on my MSN space a while back... did you see it?

    $2 for 3 boxes of crafts stuff? That’s a super sweet deal! I always go to the dollar store for felt and googly eyes and pipe cleaners and all that good stuff when I baby sit my little princess and although you can get a fair amount for under $10 you definitely beat me with the $2 buy! Nice!

    As for Bobby and his “forgotten key” I used to ‘forget’ my key too when I was younger. It was an automatic play date! I’d just go home with the friend who’s parents didn’t get home till late of the one with the best toys to play with.

    My mom eventually made me wear my key around my neck on a string! Damn her! She ruins all the fun!

    I’m sorry your husband is having a tough time seeing the better things in life. Does he talk to anyone? It might be time to talk to a professional and if need be some medication. Living in gloom and doom isn’t healthy for either one of you.

    As for your daughters made up words… too funny. Mannnitanicals! Haha! And the pantsing… lol Your daughter sounds like a riot! Too funny. I’m sure she learned about pantsing from one of the guys. She’s at a curious age they all are… eventually she’ll be so shy around boys and their genetalia that it won’t be an issue. Lets just hope that it’s before the harassment charges! Lol

    DMV sucks!

    Sushi is the one thing that I have been CRAVIN since I’ve left the hospital. When the doc ok’s it I will be feasting on sushi till my little heart is content!

    I have tasted NASTY sushi too… and my problem is always the seaweed wrap part. I later discovered it was just the shitty restaurant… trust me when I tell you a Chinese buffet restaurant is not where you want to try Sushi for the first time. You want to try sushi at an authentic Japanese Restaurant… Mmmm… Sooo GOOD!

    *Insert Homer drooling noises here*

    Hugs,

    mt

     
  • At 6:27 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Bearette-No matter how old I get, I NEVER want to think of my parents doing "it". That would be just a bit embarrassing getting kicked out of a buffet.
    Marisa-Yes, my husband has seen a psychiatrist. His most recent one he's named "Mr. Rogers" after the PBS guy. He's not real keen on him so he stopped going. Yes, he's on meds. Has been for about 3 years or so. He just recently started on a Zoloft/Wellbutrin cocktail. He said that he thinks his depression is stronger than any dose of meds they can give him. We'll see I guess. I hope you get to eat sushi again soon. I think you're right, I need to get some REAL sushi at a REAL restaurant.
    Liz-I'll have to remember to give her that marketing idea if she's still living at home when she's 25. I can send her to visit you sometime if you'd like. She'll leave you in stitches. ;)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home