Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Friday, January 12, 2007

The Bestest Idea I've Ever Had

Since I've been a Stay-at-Home mom** for the past year and a half, I have had lots of time to bake, sew, crochet, and keep things up with the house. I must admit that I've enjoyed this time, although I sound like I could join the Amish at any time (except for the fact that I'm typing this on a computer and using electricity to send it to you via the internet, but other than that, I could be Amish). I've been baking breads and muffins and trying out new vegetarian recipes left and right (sometimes to the dismay of the family, but who cares?). It should be interesting to see if I can keep things going when I actually do start working again.

So, while I was preparing the yummy muffin recipe from J Martin, an idea popped into my head. "Why not write a recipe book," my optimistic self thought.

"Yeah, great idea but what would you call it?" my pessimistic self responded.

"Let's see. It needs to be something catchy. Something that will stand out from all the other millions of recipe books out there."

"So, what's it gonna be? You really think you can come up with something that will sell?"

"How about this.......Fish Don't Feel Pain."

"Huh??"

"You know, it could be a cookbook for Pesco-Vegetarians."

"Pesco what?"

"It's when someone eats only seafood and vegetarian food."

"So what's with the "Fish Don't Feel Pain"?"

"Well, you know how most people think it's cruel to eat dogs or cats because so many of us have them as pets? But not as many people think it's cruel to kill and eat farm animals because most of us don't have them as pets. And even though some people have tiny, little fish in a tank as "pets", how many people have a salmon or trout as a family friend? Yeah, that's what I thought. And if we don't have a close personal connection to something, then it must not feel pain when it dies, right?"

"I give up."

** The term "Stay-at-Home" mom has always baffled me. Does that mean that you are not allowed to go out of the house? Because obviously you have to leave the house to go buy groceries and cart your children around to all of their activities. And I always wonder how to answer people when they ask, "Do you work outside the home?" Well, let's see. I'm a mom that works as a mom, sometimes in the home, sometimes outside the home. I'm also a substitute mom to other moms' children and most of that work is done in the home but some of it is also outside the home because kids love to play outside.


Can you tell I'm in a weird mood today?

6 Comments:

  • At 1:24 PM , Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

    Weird? Nah, everyone has conversations with themselves about fish.

     
  • At 2:03 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I've heard that it's not big deal to talk to yourself. The problem is when you carry on a whole conversation by yourself. So... Roxanne... how ya doing over there? lol

     
  • At 7:01 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Rachel- It's good to know I'm not the only one. ;)

    Suzy- Not very well apparently. I NEED HELP!

     
  • At 8:00 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Liz- Exactly. I guess dads are just expected to work. And if they decide to be a Stay-at-Home dad, it is still not a respected position (not by me but by many people I believe).

     
  • At 9:49 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 9:50 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    My daughter had a pet goldfish and it had a personality.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home