Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Filling the Hole

Yep. You can pull your mind out, of the gutter that is. It's a different kind of hole that I'm slowly beginning to fill. The one that's been empty since I had to leave behind some very special children and their parents. The hole in my heart slowly, very slowly, beginning to fill back up. In the past week I have met some very wonderful parents and their even more wonderful and adorable children. One of whom I couldn't exactly see, but I was told that she is adorable**.

I had my first official day of work on Thursday. I don't think I've ever been this happy to work before. It's not all about the money. Yes, we definitely need the second income, but it is so much more than that. Even though I've complained and fretted for a long time about needing to get back to work to start contributing to the family's income, I now feel that there was a reason why I was not able to work until now. It helped me to realize that this is definitely what I should be doing with my life. I had contemplated getting some other jobs in the meantime, but their sole purpose would have been just to pay the bills. What I really wanted to be doing all along is caring for children and being that special savior for working parents. The one whom they can depend upon to take care of all of their child's needs throughout the day so they can go to work or school and not have to worry about if their little one is safe and secure. And in return for all the dirty diapers and baby spit-up down my back and aching back from sitting on the floor playing baby games all day and bursting bladder from holding an infant who won't nap anywhere but my lap, my heart begins to refill.

So here's the stats so far. The baby boy I cared for the last two days was a "drop-in". He has a regular daycare provider who had to leave town rather quickly to visit her mother who's in ICU. I may have him back next week also. I hope so. He's an adorable, sweet little boy. Then today, I had a mother visit who has a 2 1/2 year old girl and a 16 month old boy. She has already decided to have me as their provider, but I will meet the children next week sometime. Finally, I had another couple, first time parents, visit at the beginning of the week. It was the same day that I had an eye appointment. It was merely an hour after I had my eyes dilated. They wanted me to hold their precious 8 week old girl. I obliged (how could I not?). The only problem was, ** I COULD NOT SEE HER! She was a big, blurry bundle of cuteness. Seriously, it was the strangest feeling ever. I have had my eyes dilated before, but it's been a long time. And it was never when I was trying to conduct business. Or meet people for the first time. Or drive. I asked the receptionist at the office when I made the appointment if it would be safe for me to drive myself home. "Oh sure, most people do." I again asked the doctor the same question as he put the drops in my eyes. "Oh yeah, plus it'll be dark outside when you leave so you won't have to worry about the bright light." Let me give you a tip. Do not, and I repeat NOT, attempt to drive after having your eyesight altered to the point that you cannot focus on anything. Especially if it is nighttime and snowing.

Anyhoo, the couple with the newborn girl were very nice. They were visiting another daycare on Thursday and then planning on making a decision. Please pick me *fingers crossed*. They seemed like the kind of people that would be wonderful to work with. And who doesn't love the newborn smell? I tried to suck in as much of it as I could while they were here. There's nothing quite like it, I tell ya.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:45 AM , Blogger ThePurpleOwl said...

    I can't believe they told you it was OK to drive! I've always been told to organise a lift... gald you didn't come to grief.

    (Mmm, baby smell...)

     
  • At 1:43 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    i think it's great that you're such a nurturer :) and i'm glad business is picking up.

     
  • At 5:00 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I probably would've told the parents that you'd just had your eyes dilated. We've all had to do it, so I'm sure they would've understood. That way if you weren't quite focusing, they wouldn't hold it against you! lol

    I hope you hear all good news! :)

     
  • At 7:06 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Purple Owl- I was quite perturbed since I had to make it home rather quickly for my interview. I'm really amazed that I made it home. Good thing no animals ran out in front of me.

    Bearette- Me too!

    Suzy- I did tell them and had to ask them what color their daughter's hair was. I actually told them when we set up our interview time since I didn't know what kind of shape I'd be in. I wanted to wait for a different night but it was the only time that worked for them. I wasn't about to pass up the opportunity. So, of course, I risked life and limb to make it home. Probably not a good idea.

     
  • At 3:14 AM , Blogger Citizen_Stu said...

    I wonder what the police would have said if they pulled you over and saw your eyes were dilated, "Mama, have you been taking something?" :p

     
  • At 10:42 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    Hooray!

    It all happened at once, huh?

    I'm so glad for you.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home