Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Bearette made me do it



I will dare you to cook seitan for your family! :D








I found this recipe at www.theveggietable.com. It sounded like it had both yummy and 'hide the secret ingredient' potential.

Ingredients:

2 1/2 T olive or vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup onion, minced
1 large tomato, chopped
6 cups mixed vegetables, finely chopped
some possibilities:
-bell peppers
-carrots
-celery
-corn
-green beans
-leeks
-mushrooms
-peas
-spinach
-zucchini
1 cup vegetable stock or water
1 t soy sauce
pepper
2 to 2 1/2 cups mashed potatoes
Garnish ideas: paprika, minced parsely, sesame seeds

Directions:
Heat 2 T oil over medium heat, add garlic, and saute for 2 minutes. Add onion and continue sauteing until soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomato and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring frequently. (If you need to make the mashed potatoes, start them now). Add stock and vegetables, bring to boil, lower heat, and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5-10 minutes. Add soy sauce and pepper, taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use remaining 1/2 t oil to grease pie plate. Arrange vegetables in it, then cover with a layer of mashed potatoes. Garnish. Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.

Notes: For a more substantial dish, you can add/substitute things like pre-cooked tofu, lentils, or seitan.











The presentation, as you can see (besides the blurriness of the photo), was impressive. It received rave reviews until the first spoonful was extracted. The "meat-like" substance was revealed. Jesse asked, "What is this?" and amazingly she tasted it before I had a chance to respond.

"Well, do you like it?"

"It tastes like poop. But I'll eat the mashed potatoes."

I personally thought it was o.k., but I'm not sure if I would bother cooking seitan again. Maybe I'll try it in some barbeque sauce or something. Does anyone have any favorite recipes to share?

Bobby was not home this evening to give his opinion. My guess is that he would have inhaled it before realizing that it wasn't actually meat. He is a teenage boy, after all. Everytime I've cooked tofu, he thinks it's meat. Did I mention that he's a teenage boy and eats pretty much anything that's placed in front of him? I especially like his technique of stabbing his fork into whatever large object is on his place and just gnawing away at it. The last time he did it, I told him that we have evolved a bit since the caveman days. I think we need to send him to etiquette class where he'll learn the proper use of a knife (or the use of one, period).

Ron's plate quietly revealed his opinion. Everything was consumed except for that meat-like stuff that tastes like poop.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:00 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    I'm sorry it tasted like poop. I like the way they prepare it at Gobo (a NY restaurant) with sesame sauce.

     
  • At 10:34 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Heehee! It didn't taste like poop to me. She's just very dramatic about food in general. I'm probably the only one who will eat it if I cook it again. Which is fine with me. :)

     
  • At 2:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, I feel like eating Satan, er, I mean seitan.

     
  • At 11:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your recipe sure looked pretty!
    I have a couple different seitan recipes that I like, but I'm not a huge fan.

    I don't think it quite tastes like poop, but as someone who has not tasted poop recently, I'll reserve judgment.

     
  • At 10:18 AM , Blogger Citizen_Stu said...

    I didn't even know what seitan was until I read your post.

     
  • At 6:27 PM , Blogger ThePurpleOwl said...

    Looks and sounds like my mum's 'veggie shepherds pie' (AKA 'hey, I was aure I had some mince in the freezer... oh well, veggies it is...' pie).

    How does she know what poop tastes like? I wouldn't have been able to stop myself asking. ;-)

     
  • At 9:33 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    It looks pretty.

    Thanks for warning us NOT to try it. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home