Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Suzy asked for the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth

So for your truth... Do you ever wish you'd stayed in CA or do you think moving to OH was the right decision? Or do you wish you all had moved somewhere else entirely?

For the most part, I am happy that we moved. The one thing I regret is being so far away from family. If it wasn't so expensive to fly back and forth it wouldn't be so bad. As it is, we pretty much drained all of our resources with the two trips the kids and I have taken. I think it really helps to keep in touch by phone. It's definitely not the same as being there in person, having our weekly quilting class, the cousins being so close by. That's the part that still bothers me.

Now that the kids are well adjusted and each have a really good group of friends, the guilt of ripping them away from everything familiar is starting to dissipate.

I love where we are in particular. The house and piece of property we found. The weather here. The community in general. People here seem to be genuinely nice. I do miss the beach though. That was my one place of serenity. Even on the cold, foggy, drippy days on the coast, I loved to go to the beach.

I'm still happy that we live near enough to the east coast and a lot of different places we've never been to, even if we can't afford to vacation just yet. Hopefully that will change soon. I'm glad that we live near enough to family in Wisconsin and Michigan to get invited to family get-togethers. I've always wanted to be closer to my mom's side of the family and now I have the chance.

I don't wish that we had moved somewhere entirely different. This area has proven to be everything that we were looking for. Even though we still get asked, "Why Ohio?" from people when they hear we moved from California, I'm satisfied with everything so far.

I still have dreams (or maybe nightmares?) that we are selling our house and finding a different "better" house in this same town. In the dream, I'm arguing with everyone that this house if perfectly fine and I DO NOT WANT TO MOVE AGAIN! No one will listen to me. It's like I'm invisible. When I wake up, I'm relieved to find that I'm in the same house with no "For Sale" sign out front. Our plan, so far, is to live here at least until the kids are done with high school. Hopefully by then we'll have convinced my parents and sister to move out this way. :)




4 Comments:

  • At 12:55 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    i love the beach, too :) particularly walking along it, or even visiting it on an overcast day.

     
  • At 12:49 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    I love the feeling of sand squishing through my toes, the scent of the salty sea air, the breeze, digging in the sand, collecting seashells and crab shells and seaweed and sand dollars. Now I've made myself homesick. :(

     
  • At 11:40 AM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I think a lot of people who've never spent time in Ohio don't realize that there's a lot of cool things about it. And a lot of cool people. I'm glad you like it and that you've become one of us! ;)

     
  • At 11:26 AM , Blogger avocadoinparadise said...

    If you're in Northern Ohio there is Lake Erie! Lovely beaches there (really!). Check out Geneva-on-the-Lake or Put-in-Bay!!!!

    I moved far from home too, but it was necessary in order to break into the job market. We do what we have to do.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home