Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Liz dared me to do it!

Here is a truth/dare for you: do one thing that you normally wouldn't, and then tell us what you did.

I loved this one. My first idea ended up not coming to fruition. The first and only time I've donated blood, I was in high school. I always drive by the churches and community buildings with the signs out front; the time and date speaking to me. But for some reason, I never write it down or it's not a "convenient" time or day of the week. I'm sure it's not too convenient for the people sitting in a hospital waiting for a transfusion.

The same day that I was dared, I drove by the same church I always see the Red Cross sign posted out front. Just a minute before, the DJ on the radio announced that there was a Blood Emergency. Apparently there was such a shortage on blood supplies, that they were having to ration it out. So as I passed by the church, sure enough, the regular sign was replace with the "Blood Emergency" sign. I knew I had to fulfill my duty. I wrote down the time and date on the calendar. Unfortunately, my well intentions were sidelined. Again, life took over and people that could have very much used my blood pumping through my veins, got put on hold (sorry). Next time I see that sign, I'm going to try my best to make it work.

My next attempt came to me while I was perusing the shelves at the library. Sometimes I go in knowing exactly what book or what type of book I want. This time I was just wandering aimlessly not really finding anything that interested me at all. That's when my bright idea came to me. I was in the New Book section. I decided to walk along a random row of book, turn my back, and pick one off the shelf. I made a promise to myself, and my lovely blog readers, that whatever book I chose (no matter how mundane), I would read it from cover to cover. I know, I'm so adventurous. Somebody stop me before I hurt myself.

The book: Abide with Me by Delia Parr

I like the book. I just finished it a few minutes ago and, to tell the truth, it is probably a book that I may have chosen if I was judging by the cover (don't we all do that even when we try not to?). But, nonetheless, I fulfilled my promise. It took me a while to get into the story, but then it grabbed ahold of me midway and I couldn't put it down.

Here's an excerpt that I loved:

"Regardless of location or size or the wealth of the patients, there's a distinctive smell in every hospital. It's not the scent of disinfectant, disease or medical lotions. It's the subtle blend of hope and fear, despair and optimism, as some patients fight to live just a little while longer while others pray for death to come."

3 Comments:

  • At 1:20 PM , Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

    I still think you should go back and do the blood donation. That was kind of a creepy quote, lol. What is the book about?

     
  • At 6:00 PM , Blogger Citizen_Stu said...

    Any luck with my dare yet? :p

     
  • At 11:49 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Liz- It was fun coming up with something. I'm going to try to keep doing this same dare over and over. I need to be more adventurous anyways.

    Rachel- I definitely will. I thought that quote to be very true, but I never would have been able to put it into words such as the author did. The book is about 3 sisters and their trials and tribulations. It turns out to be very faith-based.

    Stu- NO!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home