Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Deep Thoughts at the Gym

I always find my mind wandering from random, shallow thoughts like what I'm going to cook for dinner or who's birthday is coming up next, to deep thoughts. The deep ones are what get me into trouble or rather just cause me to get strange looks. Like the time that I started crying on the exercise bike right next to some guy. Luckily it was just a few tears and not great, big sobs. Most people choose to sit alone in their car or in the corner of a darkened room to let it all out. Not me. As soon as I get on the treadmill, I start thinking about life in general and then it always leads me to everything that's wrong with the world.

A few days ago was a lighthearted day. Thank goodness. Thanks to Adam Sandler, too. Whether you appreciate his humor or not, I would highly recommend listening to his song, "Ode to My Car". When I first got my MP3 player a couple years ago, we didn't have that many songs downloaded on the computer. This was one that chose to put on there and it has remained ever since because I think it's on my actual player and not the memory card. I always keep my player on shuffle and every once in a while it pops up. AND CRACKS ME UP! Of course when you are briskly walking on a treadmill with people on either side, it may seem rather strange to start busting up laughing out of seemingly nowhere. The other reason I love this song (and especially listening to it while people all around me have no idea what's being blasted into my ears, including old, crotchity men) is that it is jam-packed with cuss words. And being someone who thinks that she will get struck down by lightning or at the hands of God if a mere bad word exits her mouth, I feel like I'm getting away with something. I know, I need to get a life.

Did you know that some treadmills will incline to at least an 11% grade? I didn't until just the other day. Usually I just put it at about 4-6% to get a good stretch in my legs. Then I felt daring (ooo, look out people). So I decided to keep pushing that "+" button. I chickened out at 11. Plus, I didn't think I could stay on the darn thing if it went up any higher. I also had the speed set at 3.8 miles per hour (no, I'm not converting it to km. for those of you in foreign countries). I finally lowered it back down to 0% grade once I felt like my legs were going to fall off. Guess what? It has a negative incline, too. Would that be a decline? Who cares. Luckily it only went to -0.2% because I was fully prepared to test my ability to stay on the thing without smacking my face into the front of it. Next time I am SOOO pushing the limit and I will, of course, report back here to let you know if:

a) I have fallen and I can't get up
b) I broke the darn thing and got kicked out the gym
c) It reached 20% grade and I received cheers from everyone in attendance
d) All of the above

3 Comments:

  • At 12:15 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Sometimes I cry at odd moments, too (in restaurants, for example). 3.8 is pretty fast!

     
  • At 12:59 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    I can actually do 3.8 as a fast walk rather than a jog, due to my long legs. At that percent of slope though, it was pretty darn tough!

     
  • At 1:22 PM , Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

    I can't wait to hear about what happens next time on the treadmill. I'm guessing that if we don't hear from you for a while, you have, indeed, fallen and cannot get up?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home