Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

She blinded me with science

We always listen to "Delilah" on the radio coming home from Jesse's horse riding practices. She has taken a liking to the cheese ball stories that the listeners call-in with. Most of the time I personally have to hold back the tears. I'm not joking. I'm a wimp. It's funny because I never used to be able to cry at any movie or Hallmark commercial. Nowadays I get that familiar lump in my throat at the mere mention of a love story.

During her show each evening, Delilah does endorsements. Tonight she mentioned that Match.com is the perfect place to meet that special someone. It's "scientific" survey must be good because it's even patented. Duh. Of course they patented it. Everyone puts a patent on things that could potentially earn them millions of dollars.

Jesse then asks me, "Can I go there?"

"Where?"

"To Match.com."

"No, it's for adults."

Somebody kill me now before she has her first boyfriend.

Maybe it's just me being a mom, but isn't nine years old a little early to be worrying about boyfriends? She has been preoccupied with it lately. I guess it doesn't help that one of her best friends has a boyfriend. I realize that it's just one of those innocent "we're going together" things. Where maybe you hold hands (ewww cooties) or maybe you just manipulate the boy into doing whatever you want to do on the playground. But still. Nine years old? I was lucky enough to get past my fear of the opposite sex my senior year of high school. My libido forced me to. I certainly was not thinking about doing anything with any boy in the Fourth grade. Not only did they have cooties, but they didn't want to play hopscotch or double dutch jump rope.

In other news, we have an official artist in the family. She received not one, but two awards for a painting that her art teacher entered into a contest. Over 30 schools were involved. Guess who won the Best of Show? Ok, enough bragging for now. Carry on.

8 Comments:

  • At 2:11 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Congrats on the art award! I remember there was a boy who "liked" me in 4th grade, but it was all quite innocent.

     
  • At 6:43 AM , Blogger Portrait of Peter said...

    I remember in 3rd grade a girl who really liked to be with. She and I used to play on the swings, sit and talk in a park, sit in either her home of mine listening to music, drawing and always talking. I was often called upon to try and mediate between her and her best friend - more frequently from what I can recall - a difficult process for anyone let alone a child.

    How wonderful an Art Award - congratulations.

     
  • At 8:55 AM , Blogger anne said...

    I was a pretty late bloomer in terms of liking boys. I think I had my first crush in 7th or 8th grade. In 4th grade, they definitely still had cooties!

    Congratulations to the artist!

     
  • At 9:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I had a "boyfriend" in fifth grade, but it was silly and I remember feeling uncomfortable with the whole thing.

     
  • At 6:15 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    I guess I'm the opposite of you, Roxanne. I had a crush when I was 9... at church camp... on a jr. counselor! The sweet thing was that he kind of humored me and agreed to be my "date" to the wienie roast after one of my friends told him about my crush. :)

     
  • At 11:26 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Wienie roast! My goodness ;)

     
  • At 5:23 AM , Blogger Citizen_Stu said...

    I remember when I was 8 having a girlfriend but it really was just an innocent, we play together kind of thing, are really good friends and just say we are going out with each other.

     
  • At 9:57 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    Congratulations on the art award.

    I think I was obsessed with boys from the first grade on.

    See how lucky you are.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home