Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Point and Click

Last night while talking on the phone with my mom, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I am not the most computer illiterate person alive. Also, to prove that point, I recently updated my Myspace page with pictures and an actual background (I only have one to stay in touch with a best friend).

Mom recently acquired a new laptop for her birthday. My dad had been putting some money aside here and there from his upholstery jobs. It was a big surprise to my mom because dad has always been anti-computer. He basically thinks that they are the devil. So when he got her a laptop, she was elated. Up until now, she's been hooked up with a verrrrry slow dial-up connection. She now has the slowest "fast" internet and is officially hooked. She said it's so fun to click back and forth between stuff and not have time to go get a snack in between.

Well, inevitably, she had to call the computer help line for something. I don't remember what it was she was having trouble with, that's not really the point. As soon as Mom got someone on the line, she admitted to the girl that she is very computer illiterate and to be patient. Here's how it went down.

Help line chick: "Do you see the icon in the right hand corner of the screen?"

Mom: "Yes."

"Right click on it."

Mom types out "click" on the keyboard and nothing happens.

"Did you right click?"

"Yes, but nothing happened."

"Okay, try it again."

Mom types out "click" again and notices no change on the screen.

"It doesn't seem to be doing anything."

"I'm not sure why it's not working. You did right click with your mouse, correct?"

"Oh...the mouse? I thought you meant "write click" as in type out the word click."

Heehee! I bet she makes the Top Ten list at this year's company Christmas party. You think?

7 Comments:

  • At 5:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hee hee! That is priceless. Thanks for the laugh!

     
  • At 7:45 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    Oh man. Yeah, that's going to be a memorable one. lol

     
  • At 6:04 PM , Blogger Amy said...

    That's freaking hilarious. I hope you don't mind if I linked to it!

     
  • At 5:44 AM , Blogger Citizen_Stu said...

    Hehe. There are whole website dedicated to customer help line call like this. I bet your mum is on a few of them now :p

     
  • At 10:36 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Hee :)

    I like the cat picture. Cute!

     
  • At 11:43 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Liz- No prob.

    Suzy- I know she'll never live it down within our family. :)

    Amy- Thanks for the publicity. :)

    Stu- She'll be famous, for sure.

    Bearette-Thanks. That's one of our kitties, Jake. Isn't he pretty?

     
  • At 11:54 AM , Blogger A said...

    That's hysterical. My husband used to work at AOL tech support eons ago; I'm sending him here to read this, he'll love it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home