Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Monday, November 05, 2007

As Per Request





Here you have the mild flippy look

Today, on the other hand, my hair was out of control. No picture as it felt like a bad hair day. I think if my hair had been any more 'flippy', it would have flown right off of my head. I'll have to experiment with it when I have time (ie: when I don't have to show my face in public).

And to switch gears completely, I went to donate blood this evening. Even though they extracted a pint of blood from my body, it will not be used to save anyone's life. :(
The nurse (are they nurses? not sure) inserted the needle incorrectly. She hit a vein, alright. But, according to her layman's terms, the needle was pressing up against the side of the vein. In all the times that I've had blood drawn, it has never EVER felt like this. She didn't realize what had happened until we were more than halfway through. She kept increasing/decreasing the amount of pressure on the cuff and readjusting the needle. At one point I looked down at my arm because it was going numb and my whole arm and hand were turning a dark purple. Not normal. And again, extremely painful. By the time she decided to bail, I had tears brimming. The nurse at the next station asked if I was okay and I couldn't even answer. All I could do was give a weak 'okay' nod because I didn't want to seem like a wimp. I've never been a wimp when it comes to needles, but this felt like something straight out of a terrosist torture scene (okay now I'm being dramatic). The most irritating part for me was knowing that I had taken a good 2+ hours and a bunch of discomfort basically for nothing. The nurse told me not to let this scare me from donating again. I won't. I realize that people make mistakes. But she could have been a little more sympathetic about it.


This is as good a pic as I could manage.

We'll see what it looks like tomorrow. There's a huge knot under the bruised area and it hurts every time I move my hand and/or arm. I'll stop now because I know there are some people that have to endure soooo much worse than this every day of their life due to health conditions. Now I feel like a doof for even complaining about it.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:16 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Don't feel like a doof, there's nothing as queasy-making as being stabbed with a needle 18 times. I've lucked out and had a skilled blood-getter (wonder if there's a word for that) the past few times I've been to a doctor or lab...but before that...ouch.

    Haircut is cute :)

     
  • At 7:17 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Oh, it just hit me that she didn't stab you 18 times...but pressing the vein that way sounds really painful. I'm sorry you had to go through that :(

     
  • At 11:10 AM , Blogger This suzy said...

    You can complain if you want to! I would!! lol I hope the nurse at least apologized to you a couple times.

    And your hair is so cute! :)

     
  • At 1:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ouch! It must have been awful watching your arm change color like that.

    Sometimes the people who draw blood are phlebotomists... maybe that's the word Bearette was looking for. Of course, blood-getting works, too. :)

     
  • At 1:18 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    I like your hair. Did the nurse have the last name Ratchett on her name tag?

     
  • At 4:33 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Yes - phlebotomist! I actually encountered the word "phlebotomy" yesterday.

     
  • At 11:21 PM , Blogger ThePurpleOwl said...

    *My* hair looks like that... but red with a purple stripe. I likes it.

    Ouch. Silly nurse.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home