Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Why?????

I was all ready to write a happy post. Maybe something about the holidays. Or kitties and bunnies. But instead I have to write this to get it out of my head.

You see, this past week, my brother-in-law had surgery to remove a clot that could potentially cause an aneurysm. His team of doctors have been keeping a close eye on it for quite some time as it was supposedly not a big threat, but it did need to be taken care of before things changed. The surgery went well, but he was still in ICU the whole week due to not being able to eat or drink anything. Apparently the swelling was causing such a horrible headache that he couldn't even keep down water. The surgery was done in the temple area and one of his eyes was swollen completely shut. Also the whole area was swollen and protuding.

I've had minimal contact with my mom because she and my dad are caring for 6 of their kids (the other 2 are living on their own now). She emails me and tries to call when she gets a chance which, obviously, is not too often. I had been thinking about trying to call my sister today to see how things were going and to send birthday wishes (it's his birthday today), but now I'm glad I didn't. She said she's fine until she gets on the phone with our mom (probably not, but it's a family trait to ALWAYS show them that you're strong and don't need help).

Yesterday, he started having seizures. Tomorrow he has to go back in for another surgery to relieve some of the pressure on his brain. I think it's either blood or some other fluid that has collected and his causing pressure, hence the seizures. Either way, it's no good.

Guess what? I want to be there. Just to be a support in any way I can. Plus, to complicate matters, my mom is scheduled for her second knee replacement surgery in 10 days. It would feel really nice to be there to help care for my nieces and nephews. So, I start checking prices for flights. Can we afford to go any further into debt? Not really. Do I really care right now? Nope. Can the kids and Ron hold down the fort for a couple weeks? Probably. Can I take time off work and prolong getting more daycare kids (aka: much needed income)? Not sure.

Send any and all positive thoughts his way.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sending them right away.

    It sounds like you would regret not being there for your family more than you would regret the lost clients or added debt...

     
  • At 1:11 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    That's a rough one. ALL of you will be in my prayers.

    And I'm with Liz. It might put you more in debt, but this is one of those times when it kinda seems like it'd be worth it.

     
  • At 2:03 PM , Blogger Bearette said...

    Thinking of you. I hope things look up for him soon, and that you'll be able to go see your family.

     
  • At 2:11 PM , Blogger thatfunman said...

    May everything turn out well.

     
  • At 2:12 PM , Blogger Brie said...

    Sounds like you have your hands full. I'm sorry, and I hope everything turns out well. My best wishes to you and your family!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home