Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

It's about freakin' time

Ever since I returned home three weeks ago, I have not felt like myself. I'm not sure what it is. For the first week I literally could not stay awake. I slept most days for about 2/3 of the day. The rest of that time was spent lounging on the couch under a blanket. I think I actually had some type of virus. Either that or I was just decompressing from the previous two weeks.

I tell you what, I have never worked so hard on a "vacation" in my life. It was really nice to see my family, even under those circumstances. Even though they worked me to the bone (I know, I asked for it), I thoroughly enjoyed getting to spend time with everyone without the distraction of my own kids. There wasn't the bickering between Jesse and her four girl cousins. I didn't have to schedule any visits with their old friends, nor did I have to play chauffeur to them. So, with my kids a couple thousand miles away, I had all the free time in the world (oops, I almost forgot that i volunteered to be a servant).

Upon my arrival, the airport shuttle was waiting to pick me up. My parents drove the family bus, a 15 passenger Ford van. Inside were 6 little munchkins who were very surprised to see their Aunt Roxanne. My mom had tricked them by telling them they were picking up her best friend from school. Boy were they were in shock when I opened the door to step in! There was non-stop chatter the whole way back (and pretty much for the next two weeks).

The next 48 hours (and the previous 24, because I like to do things out of order) was a whirlwind of activity which included, but was not limited to, the following activities:

A visit to the local Burger King. Not for the food, of course, but for the indoor playground so the kids could run off some energy. Even so, the house was busting with noise and activity when we returned home.

Have you ever been on a flight with someone that was having major (with a capital M-A-J-O-R) bowel issues? Well, I can now say I have. It was not pleasant. And even though I felt sorry for the poor sole, I felt even sorrier for my nasal passages. They really, really should install an air freshener dispenser thingie in the airplane bathrooms. Because I didn't even get with twenty feet of the bathroom and I could STILL smell it EVERY SINGLE TIME this person went to use the facilities. Which was quite often.

This was the first I'd seen one of these. It was in one the many airports I visited my first day. I wish it had come out clearer because the wording was hilarious. They should have just stated, "Poop=Down Pee=Up". I wonder what the woman in the next stall thought when she saw the flash go off. :P

I had the most awesome (and totally rad!) view of Mt. Hood (Oregon) as we flew directly beside it. The sun was shining, the skies were clear. Couldn't have asked for a better picture taking opportunity than that. Except that my airplane pictures never seem to come out at all like I expect them to. Better luck next time, right?

This isn't Mt. Hood, we were MUCH closer than this. I can't remember which mountain this is because I was snapping pictures of all of 'em. But it sure is pretty.

My bro-in-law (we'll call him Frankenstein, tell you why later) returns from the San Francisco hospital the day after I arrive. He had been there for two weeks and was just a bit pekid after the six hour drive. Two good things from that drive...he didn't throw up once and he didn't have any more seizures. My sister was thrilled.

The night before I left, I knew I had to wake up at 3 am for my 2-hour drive to the airport. Yet, I still could not get to sleep. My total hours of sleep=2 1/2. The next 24 hours was a joy!

I love those little snack boxes (available for $5) that United offers. I always get the one with the can of lemon and seasoned tuna, hummus, pita chips, Toberlone, and couple other little things. I also almost always get cranberry juice for my complimentary drink. Don't ask me why. I just do.

"Flat Stanley" helped me eat my mini-meal. He was sent to me by one of my nieces. It is a school project that kids across the country get to participate in. They learn all about geography and chart all of the Stanleys' travels, from the kids in their class, throughout the school year. So far our's has gone to a Stevie Wonder concert in Pittsburgh, Thanksgiving in Cincinnati, a Halloween party in Cleveland, and then on the airplane stopping in Chicago, Portland, San Fran, Eureka/Arcata, and Columbus. He's a well-traveled man!

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but my sis, Frankenstein, their six children still living at home, and my parents have all been living in the same household (3bed, 2bath ranch) for almost a year now. Oh yes, let's not forget about the three dogs (Skippy, Ella, and Lance). Yep, the fun never stops! My sis and Franky have finally been finishing a beautiful home remodel (finally, 15 years after getting scammed from an idiot contractor). Their house is basically done now except for a few final touches. Of course moving back in will have to be put on hold until everyone is well again.


It hasta be Shasta!

Due to the cramped living conditions, the sleeping arrangements are quite interesting. My parents have been sleeping in the travel trailer (at least it has a nice bed) out in the driveway. Mostly because my dad works the graveyard shift and when he needs to sleep the kids are still very much awake and very much verbal. My sis and Franky are in my parent's bed. The other two rooms are split between the girls and the boys. Add me to the mix and everyone's various ailments over the next two weeks and it gets even more interesting. I started out the first night in my parent's bed (yep, it's just as creepy as it sounds), my mom in her recliner, and my dad in the trailer.


Skippy and Ella...need I say more?

To be continued.......

10 Comments:

  • At 8:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love the picture of the dog butts. It looks like Skippy is happy in his new home. :)

    Good to hear from you.

     
  • At 9:14 AM , Blogger Bearette said...

    I like Flat Stanley :) Is Lance named after Lance Armstrong?

     
  • At 8:05 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    Wow. That sounds like one heck of a trip and you're not even finished yet!

     
  • At 10:39 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Liz- I thought of you when I added that one. :) The funny thing is about that pic, they were wrestling around and I was trying to get their faces. I'm glad I didn't.

    Bearette- Lance is named after my bro-in-law's brother who passed away shortly before they got the dog. The kids all agreed to name him after Uncle Lance.

    Suzy- Yep, just wait. It gets sooo much better.

     
  • At 11:43 AM , Blogger Caro said...

    Wow, that was like having to put down a good book you want to keep reading. Can't wait for the rest of the story.

    Great pics! Our house is a 3 bedroom 2 bath ranch and we are busting at the seams. I can't imagine adding even one more person to it.

     
  • At 4:29 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Caro- I'm glad I could hold someone's attention so well. :)

    Busting at the seams does not EVEN begin to describe their house at this time. And to top it off, my mom is a pack rat (even though she'd never admit it).

     
  • At 11:46 AM , Blogger anne said...

    Holy cannoli, man. What a story! What a family!

    I'm glad you went back. I wouldn't be surprised if your lack of vigor was due to this trip!

    Totally awesome mountain pictures. Such rugged beauty.

     
  • At 2:51 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Anne- I'm glad you appreciate my mountain pics. I just wish I'd had the camera out when we were right on top of Mt. Hood. It was truly breathtaking.

     
  • At 7:41 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    Well just keep me hanging, why don't ya! LOL

     
  • At 12:38 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Caro- I know, I know....
    But right now I gotta get some sleep. I won't promise, but maybe tomorrow. Maybe.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home