Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Lefties Unite!

This is a mug that my parents bought me when I was in high school. I've always loved it. I've always felt a kinship with someone when I find out they are also left-handed. Someone who knows what it means to struggle with cutting projects in school (thankfully some genius invented ambidextrous scissors). Someone who knows what it means to have to learn how to throw right-handed (only to fail miserably) because there are no lefty gloves in P.E. class. Someone who knows how irritating it is to have people nervous when they watch you cut with a knife because "it looks like you're doing it all wrong". When my mom taught me how to crochet, it was very difficult for her to try to do it backwards. I basically watched her do it right-handed and then transposed it.

When I was young, we had a breakfast bar in the kitchen. I always had to sit in the furthest left seat as to not bump elbows with my brother or sister. To this day my mom still suggests where I should sit if we go out to a restaurant. I don't think she even realizes it. The funny part about this is that I don't find myself having an "elbow bumping" issue. Maybe I've learned to accomodate for this over the years.

I lift my mug in a toast to all the lefties of the world.........cheers!

9 Comments:

  • At 8:46 PM , Blogger Mark said...

    I definately can relate. I have 2 older sisters, and a younger brother. Me and my oldest sister are both left-handed, so that's a pretty good ratio in the family. When I was a senior in high school, I went to a very small private school, in a small town. I took calculus, there were 3 of us in the class, one of which was a foreign exchange student from Japan. All three of us were left-handed. I wonderered what the odds of that happening was.
    That's a cool mug.

     
  • At 9:09 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    I forgot to add another anecdote to this post:

    When I was in 3rd grade, my teacher tried to convince my mom that she needed to change my handedness. Excuse me? I'm 8 years old and you're going to tell me to change the hand that I use to write, eat, throw, etc.? Ironically this teacher's last name was "Powers" and it fit her to a T.

    Also, when I was a toddler, the doctor told my mom to place the fork or spoon on the right side of my plate to encourage me to use my right hand. At least it was just a suggestion of encouragement rather than forcing.

    roxanne

     
  • At 10:15 PM , Blogger Mark said...

    when I was first using a spoon, my mom would put the spoon in my right hand, for "encouragement", but I would instantly put it in my left hand, so eventually she took the hint.

     
  • At 6:01 PM , Blogger mtcutie said...

    Hey there Leftie,

    Thanks so much for reading “The Spoon Theory” it means a lot to me that people read it and understand a little of what it’s like.

    It really was a wonderful gift and I just wanted the world to know how great Kirsten was to send it to me.

    I wish I could say I knew what it was like to live as a left handed person… but I don’t. I always heard that left handed people were more intelligent. Is that true??

    mt

    www.mtcutie.blogspot.com

     
  • At 9:31 PM , Blogger Mark said...

    Of course it's true

    :)

     
  • At 8:13 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Mark, you beat me to that one!

    I've also heard that we are more creative since we (apparently) use more of that part of the brain. Hey, I'll go along with that myth.

    roxanne

     
  • At 4:28 PM , Blogger Eclipse75048 said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:35 PM , Blogger Eclipse75048 said...

    My daughter's a lefty, which she must have inherited from my wife's side of the family.

    I think it's pretty cool and plan on teaching her to pitch for little league...she'll DESTROY all of those puny, right-handed boys she goes up against.

     
  • At 9:36 AM , Blogger JaG said...

    I'm a righty but my best friend in high school was left handed. I always had to sit on her right side so we wouldn't bump elbows while writing.

    Nice post!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home