Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

A few anecdotes from the past few days:

While sitting in my van in the parking lot I witness a handsome 20 something male walking towards my vehicle. The thought popped into my head that he was an attractive guy.........until he started coughing, hacking, and eventually hacked up a great big one. That's not the best part. It unfortunately did not all make it from his mouth to the ground. Yes, he had a lovely string of snot, mucous, what have you hanging from his mouth in which he proceeded to wipe with the sleeve of his jacket. Handsome gent.

I'm walking through the mall (after having a crying session in the car....more later) and I see the old man with the clipboard. Oh yeah, you know the one........the survey dude. First question, "Would you like to lose at least 10 pounds?" I nonchalantly answer, "No." Survey dude responds quite surprised, "Really? None at all?" "Nope. I'm really not interested in doing a survey. But thanks anyway." As I walk away I look back and he looks quite confused. I wonder if anyone ever gives that answer. Of course I was lying because I do want to lose more weight and I actually should. I actually did the math the other day and I have lost 45 pounds over the course of the past year. I could probably stand to lose about 30 more. I just want to get to that stage of feeling really healthy and fit. I'm not looking to fit into a size 0 or anything. Who came up with that size anyways? Back to the survey dude. Later I thought of some good comebacks to that question. "What, do I LOOK like I need to lose weight?" was my favorite.

I'm sitting in my van (again) eating my yogurt, banana, and roasted almonds for lunch (YUM!). I see a guy get out of his car smoking a cigarette. My mind starts to wander and I think how sad it is that he may not be around for his family later on in life because he smokes. That makes me think of my hubby and the fact that he is now on blood pressure medicine, just got back from the sleep clinic to get tested for sleep apnea, will probably be clinically depressed his whole life, and uses every excuse in the book to not go to the "Y" with the kids and I. I start bawling. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may end up being a single parent and I don't want to be. I know that it's a vicious cycle with the depression. He doesn't feel good about himself therefore he doesn't want to take care of himself therefore.......... My kids love their dad and it will kill me if they lose him too soon.

At dinner tonight we're discussing fires and Jesse starts talking about how she's seen firemen take showers, but DEFINITELY not any private parts. Huh? Do I need to monitor your internet use a little more closely, child? I think it was just some t.v. show she was talking about. She said, "You know how when firemen get all dirty and full of soot from the fire. Well, they need to shower when they get back from the firehouse." I whispered in hubby's ear that maybe he needs to get all dirty and sooty so he'll need to take a shower.

More on my life and times in the next episode..............................

3 Comments:

  • At 9:12 PM , Blogger Mark said...

    Survey people are so annoying. I'm pretty much rude to them anymore. That's great that you lost so much weight. Keep up the good work.

     
  • At 12:04 PM , Blogger mtcutie said...

    Roxanne,

    Lovely string of snot, mucous dangling off of anyone is enough to make even the hottest guy very unattractive! The wiping on the sleeve well that bumps him from unattractive to just nasty!

    Re: the clipboard man… I CAN NOT STAND pushy people. I don’t like people asking me to complete surveys. I don’t like telemarkers calling my house; I don’t like people ringing on my doorbell to ask me questions, to switch companies, religious or anything else for that matter. I don’t like spam, junk mail or anything else that tries to shove something down my throat.

    Does anyone actually switch a major thing because some stranger stopped you in a mall, rang your door, emailed you or called you out of the blue?

    I used to be nice to these people but now I’ve just lost all patience with them and I’m actually quite rude! Especially when they start calling all the lines and it’s obvious they are just going down an alphabetical list. It makes me soo angry.

    Even more so when I’m home sick… because I sleep when I can and sometimes they are at unconventional times and if I’m awoken by some moron that wants to ask me if I’m the main grocery shopper in the house and what my favorite products are and all of this was important to wake me up when I haven’t slept for 3 days because I’ve been on soo much damn Prednisone… MAN oh MAN do they hear an earful! Sad part… someone else from the same organization actually calls back again… like the next day. On occasion the same day! Can you believe that one? That’s when I start dropping the *F* bombs!

    I’m sorry about your husband. I lost my dad when I was 6 but he wasn’t much of a dad to begin with…it still affected me though… I really hope that he finds it in himself to “want” to change his life if not for him… for his kids. Sometimes they need to come to the realization on their own. No amount of bitching will convince them.

    I know it’s hard but hang in there.

    Hugs,
    Mt

     
  • At 8:12 PM , Blogger Brie said...

    Your daughter sounds so cute! I think her and I would get along quite well. And I hope that she has her dad around for many more years. Good lcuk with everything.

    P.S.-I just bought myself a pair of black and white chucks, and I'm so happy!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home