Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Siskel and Ebert

I have discovered a really cool alternative to paying to rent movies at the video store. Our public library system has tons of movies, even new ones. I have been putting "holds" on movies and then the library emails me when they are available. It beats combing the shelves upon shelves of movies.

I most recently watched what I thought was going to be a cheesy, feel good movie called "Pay it Forward" starring Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt, and Haley Joel Osment. I must say I was quite surprised with it as the cover made it look like a Hallmark movie. It was good though. I would recommend it.

I have also watched Punch Drunk Love. Freeaaaky! It had the feeling of Mullholland Drive. Trying to be artsy and confusing all at once. Not that I was totally confused, I just didn't like it.

Let's see.....I've watched 50 First Dates. Was also surprised by the story line. I expected it to be corny/cute but it was actually better than that. I would recommend it.

Hubby and I watched the Crying Game together. With all the hype about the "big surprise" the rest of the movie was what did it for me. What I mean is that people made it sound like the whole story line to this movie is about the transvestite. There is sooo much more to this movie than that. Now that I FINALLY got around to watching this one, I'm sure the rest of you have already seen it. If you haven't, I would recommend it.

My daughter is thrilled. I just brought home Napoleon Dynamite. We watched it at my sister's over Christmas and she has been bugging me to rent it ever since. She loves the scene on the bus where the kid asks Napoleon what he's doing and he answers, "Whatever I want to. Gaawwwd!!" It is exactly like my nephew. Sad, but true.

I also brought home "Crash". I've been wanting to watch this one for a while. Will tell ya if I'm as impressed as the rest of the people I've heard review it.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:20 AM , Blogger mtcutie said...

    Roxanne,

    Oh Movies!!
    Here’s a topic I can attack…

    I watched

    Pay it Forward mind you it was a while ago I remember it being a good one and what I call a ‘find’. When you blindly go to the movie store to pick something specific and it’s all out and so you pick something you’ve never heard of but has at least one character that you enjoyed in another movie. For me the character was the kid from The Sixth Sense

    Punch Drunk Love
    I tried to watch this a long time ago but I remember not getting very far so I don’t think I liked it.

    50 First Dates
    Ya… I kinda like this one too. I thought I would be sick of seeing Adam Sandler sucking face with Drew Barrymore AGAIN… but this one was cute! I love the little penguin!

    The Crying Game
    I actually have NOT watched this movie. And I know of the hoopla regarding ‘the scene’ but I never got around to watching it. Might have to add it to my to-do list!

    Napoleon Dynamite
    I actually watched this the first time and HATED every minute of it. In the opening credits when the names are all written out if food and condiments I was like… “What the hell?” And he just wasn’t funny to me AT ALL!
    Then someone made me watch it again… and with the right group of laughers around me I’ve actually grown to enjoy this stupid funny movie.

    Crash
    This I DID watch… it’s GREAT! You’ll like it!

    Well your library has a kick ass collection of movies. MY neighborhood library has maybe 10 tapes no DVD’s and the Tapes are about15 years old.

    Mt

    p.s. DAMN.. your WORD VERIFACATION is TOUGH today... lets see if this one workds
    kywfpnaa

     
  • At 9:56 AM , Blogger This suzy said...

    Roxanne,

    I didn't like Punch Drunk Love either. Not at all.

    I wanted to like Pay It Forward. I like the concept. I just didn't like the way it ended, not even just what happened to the kid, but even everything after that. Somehow just rubbed me wrong.

    I did like Crash. It was really thought-provoking to me, although I recently read a critic's take on it that basically said "how many people actually react to those situations the way those characters did?" He may have somewhat of a point, but I still liked the movie! (I was secretly glad when it surprised everyone and won at the Oscars.)

     
  • At 9:49 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    I'm about ready to watch Crash right now. Finally got the kids to bed and now it's rootbeer float and movie time! My review will follow.........

    roxanne

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home